Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

THE DOLL: "And His Letters Grew Colder"

Please use this thread to discuss the story "And His Letters Grew Colder".

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: THE DOLL: "And His Letters Grew Colder"

I liked the format of this story.  I wish we knew what happened to make the man’s heart grow less fond of the woman. It seemed that the month-long trip away went well, but maybe that was as much of a relationship as the man wanted to have with the woman.  They met right after the trip and I suspect that she made known some expectation about the future of their relationship, perhaps marriage, that he was not interested in, and he began his gradual withdrawal from her.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I agree the format was interesting.  Kind of a disconnected one-sided conversation, where we are left to piece together what happens in between.  The guy was a jerk.  He pursued this married woman, then, once she gave in, he started to get scared that they would be found out.  Also, once he got what he wanted, he didn't want it any more.  His treatment of her was cruel.

I love how this collection gives us a glimpse into all kinds of human nature!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

So do I. (agree with you about this format).

On September the 29th, He  suddenly wrote that he is afraid of being seen by other people and of being talked about. It is probably only a lame excuse because he doesn't want to be involved any further with his lover.