Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

THE DOLL: "Tame Cat"

Please use this thread to discuss the story "Tame Cat".

(Sorry, I'm closing out a study and got interrupted, never got back to the thread-making last week)

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Fozzie

Re: THE DOLL: "Tame Cat"

This passage on the bottom of page 103 sums up the story:

“She understood everything now.  Mummy, her beauty gone, a frightened jealous woman, envious of her own youth; while he, smooth-tongued and deceitful, worked for a new alliance.”

I liked the title --- a play on words --- tom cat versus tame cat.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

Again, you are great at finding those connections of words!  Tom cat, indeed!

This was kind of a hearbreaking story.  This young girl, on the threshold of her adult life, so excited and looking forward to everything, and then to have her ideals crushed and only able to see a drab, hypocritical existence stretching ahead of her.

She is so proud of herself, thinking that her mother will finally admire her - "Mummy would be proud of her at last".  But her mother's reaction is not at all what she expected, and it was clear to me at once that her mother now saw her as a rival.  And that rat - "Uncle John"!  In her innocence, she never does anything to lead him on, and yet he reads everything into it and apparently thinks they are going to have an affair.  When they go out and people are staring and smiling, she thinks it is because they see she is grown up and happy for her; more likely, it is because they see her with John and are amused that she is replacing her mother in his affections (if you can call them that).

The last bit, where the three of them are together celebrating New Year's Eve, seems to carry an implication that she may just give in and surrender to the family situation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Again, you are great at finding those connections of words!  Tom cat, indeed!

This was kind of a hearbreaking story.  This young girl, on the threshold of her adult life, so excited and looking forward to everything, and then to have her ideals crushed and only able to see a drab, hypocritical existence stretching ahead of her.

She is so proud of herself, thinking that her mother will finally admire her - "Mummy would be proud of her at last".  But her mother's reaction is not at all what she expected, and it was clear to me at once that her mother now saw her as a rival.  And that rat - "Uncle John"!  In her innocence, she never does anything to lead him on, and yet he reads everything into it and apparently thinks they are going to have an affair.  When they go out and people are staring and smiling, she thinks it is because they see she is grown up and happy for her; more likely, it is because they see her with John and are amused that she is replacing her mother in his affections (if you can call them that).

The last bit, where the three of them are together celebrating New Year's Eve, seems to carry an implication that she may just give in and surrender to the family situation.

I hope she doesn't give into the situation!

Uncle John is a real jerk, isn't he?!

Laura

Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

Uncle John is very frightening too. I doubt she will submit to him. She doesn't seem too be taken by him because she is to much aware of his manipulative actions.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

chadadanielleKR wrote:

Uncle John is very frightening too. I doubt she will submit to him. She doesn't seem too be taken by him because she is to much aware of his manipulative actions.

I got a sense of resignation and submission from her in the end.  If it's not Uncle John, I suspect it will be someone else.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

chadadanielleKR wrote:

I got a sense of resignation and submission from her in the end.  If it's not Uncle John, I suspect it will be someone else.

I got the sense of resigation at the end too, but I think she will wise up to Uncle John quickly and move away from him.

Laura