Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

THE DOLL: "The Doll"

Please use this thread for discussion of "The Doll".

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: THE DOLL: "The Doll"

Wow - what a bizarre story!  Did everyone else think that Julio was some sort of 'sex toy', or was it just me?  I guess Rebecca really didn't like other people, and so she was content to just have Julio to satisfy her needs.  I wonder where she got him, to begin with.  I also wonder how she lived without working, and where she went when she disappeared.

On the other hand, the narrator was so instantly obsessed by her and irrationally jealous, I kind of felt that he got what he deserved.  If he really was in love with Rebecca, he should have forced himself to be content to let the relationship progress slowly, on her own terms.  He should not have broken in to her apartment, with the intent of essentially raping her (I felt).

Of course, Rebecca was about equally obsessed with Julio.  He had, by far, the best room in the apartment.  When Rebecca spoke to the narrator about loving someone so much that you felt you had to make the other party jealous, he may have assumed she was talking about him, but she was really talking about Julio.  However, I do think that she let the narrator into her life to a greater extent than she had probably let anyone before.  She introduced him to Julio, although I think it was a sort of experiment to try to make Julio jealous by kissing the narrator in front of him.  I'm not sure if she really thought that he could get jealous for real, or if she just thought it would give her some additional thrill in her own imagination.  And when she and the narrator parted before the end, she seemed to be looking forward to seeing him again and said that she would have a lot to tell him - I still wonder what?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Ryan_G

I don't think you can read that story anyother way other than The Doll as a sex toy.  This is actually one of my favorite stories in the book because of the strange bent to it.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Fozzie

Hmmm…not sure what that was about --- mental illness?  I think the man was driven mad by his love for Rebecca, who was herself mad.  I couldn’t help but notice the name Rebecca and wondered if the idea of madness and the name Rebecca in this story didn’t plant the seed for the author’s book Rebecca.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Wow - what a bizarre story!  Did everyone else think that Julio was some sort of 'sex toy', or was it just me?  I guess Rebecca really didn't like other people, and so she was content to just have Julio to satisfy her needs.  I wonder where she got him, to begin with.  I also wonder how she lived without working, and where she went when she disappeared.

On the other hand, the narrator was so instantly obsessed by her and irrationally jealous, I kind of felt that he got what he deserved.  If he really was in love with Rebecca, he should have forced himself to be content to let the relationship progress slowly, on her own terms.  He should not have broken in to her apartment, with the intent of essentially raping her (I felt).

Of course, Rebecca was about equally obsessed with Julio.  He had, by far, the best room in the apartment.  When Rebecca spoke to the narrator about loving someone so much that you felt you had to make the other party jealous, he may have assumed she was talking about him, but she was really talking about Julio.  However, I do think that she let the narrator into her life to a greater extent than she had probably let anyone before.  She introduced him to Julio, although I think it was a sort of experiment to try to make Julio jealous by kissing the narrator in front of him.  I'm not sure if she really thought that he could get jealous for real, or if she just thought it would give her some additional thrill in her own imagination.  And when she and the narrator parted before the end, she seemed to be looking forward to seeing him again and said that she would have a lot to tell him - I still wonder what?

I never occurred to me that Julio was a sex toy!  I thought the woman was just nuts!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

I never occurred to me that Julio was a sex toy!  I thought the woman was just nuts!

It was when it said, "He was a machine - something worked by screws" that made me think so.  And the narrator's reaction ("I was seized with a deadly sickness...").

But I would definitely agree that Rebecca was nuts!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

I was interested in finding out which magazine originally published this story - given the subject matter I'd have been surprised if it was a major magazine.

After some online digging, I found an article from The Guardian February 2011:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/feb/21/daphne-du-maurier-stories-discovered

The bookseller and collector knew of "The Doll" from du Maurier's biography - she claimed it had been published but no one had a manuscript/knew which publication.  The story was eventually found in a collection titled The Editor Regrets, published in 1937.  "The Doll" was apparently originally submitted around 1928 - du Maurier would have been barely 21 so she would have written the story earlier.  I can see why it perhaps wouldn't have made it into a magazine at that time.  Even in the permissive 20s the scene of discovery would probably have been too much for readers.

(The rest of the article goes on to explain that the first five stories in the collection we're reading are the "lost" stories from early in her career; the remaining eight are from the 1950s).

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

And can I just say that the name "Julio" made me laugh.  Such a generic Latin Lothario name for a mechanical gigolo.

Melissa W.