Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

THE FORGOTTEN GARDEN: Chapters 11 - 20

Please use this thread for discussion of Chapters 11 - 20 of The Forgotten Garden.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Correspondent
streamsong
0 Kudos

Re: THE FORGOTTEN GARDEN: Chapters 11 - 20

I am really enjoying Eliza's fairy tales.  I never think of fairy tales as being original and created by a specific person -- but rather gathered from a culture. And yet, why not? Hans Christian Anderson created what he wrote, I believe.

And then there is the story itself which echoes the fairy tales. Fairy tales within fairy tales--that aspect is well done!.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Have you read AS Byatt?  I'm thinking specifically of The Children's Book which throws in one of the characters' fairy tales but Possession also has the same elements - creating a writer character and the character's work for the reader to see.

streamsong wrote:

I am really enjoying Eliza's fairy tales.  I never think of fairy tales as being original and created by a specific person -- but rather gathered from a culture. And yet, why not? Hans Christian Anderson created what he wrote, I believe.

And then there is the story itself which echoes the fairy tales. Fairy tales within fairy tales--that aspect is well done!.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Correspondent
streamsong
0 Kudos

No, I haven't read anything by Byatt. I do have a copy of Possession living on Planet To-Be-Read. (It used to be MT TBR but it keeps growing). 

Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

Actually we read Possession in 2007 on this board and I remember having a hard time reading it.It was a very long and learned book too.  Switching from plain novel to fairy tale is a bit difficult for me because of the change of pace and tone. Fortunately, the fairy tales in the forgotten garden are rather short and with a rather clear meaning.

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

chadadanielleKR wrote:

Actually we read Possession in 2007 on this board and I remember having a hard time reading it.It was a very long and learned book too.  Switching from plain novel to fairy tale is a bit difficult for me because of the change of pace and tone. Fortunately, the fairy tales in the forgotten garden are rather short and with a rather clear meaning.

I agree.  Possession was a hard read for me.  

I do own The Children's Book and hope it is easier to follow!

I like the fairy tales in The Forgotten Garden too.

As I got to the end of this section of reading, I felt like the answer to Nell's background had been revealed and wondered what the rest of the book would hold.  I guess we will find out all the details of her mother's life.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

The stories in The Children's Book are definitely less convoluted that those in Possession but they are also more commentaries or reflections of action in the main story of the novel.  The Forgotten Garden doesn't seem to have the fairy tale as a comment on Nell's family history but the timelines jump back and forth so much that it might do so before the end of the book.

Fozzie wrote:

chadadanielleKR wrote:

I agree.  Possession was a hard read for me.  

I do own The Children's Book and hope it is easier to follow!

I like the fairy tales in The Forgotten Garden too.

As I got to the end of this section of reading, I felt like the answer to Nell's background had been revealed and wondered what the rest of the book would hold.  I guess we will find out all the details of her mother's life.

Melissa W.