Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

THE GIRL WHO HEARD DRAGONS: Discussion August 2012

So I said I'd get this up yesterday...and then I forgot the book at home.  Oh the dangers of getting used to digital culture!!  I had to remember to bring a paper book with me. :smileytongue:

Anyhow, LbW is dipping a few more inches into the Fantasy genre with Anne McCaffrey's story collection The Girl Who Heard Dragons.  The title story is set in McCaffrey's dragon-centric Pern.

Discussion Schedule:

Week 1, August 6 - 12: Introduction (which is pretty funny), The Girl Who Heard Dragons, Velvet Fields, Euterpe on a Fling, and Duty Calls

Week 2, August 13 - 19:  A Sleeping Humpty Dumpty Beauty, The Mandalay Cure, A Flock of Geese, and The Greatest Love

Week 3, August 20 - 26:  A Quiet One, If Madam Likes You..., Zulei, Grace, Nimshi, and the Damnyankees, and Cinderella Switch

Week 4, August 27 - September 2: Habit Is an Old Horse, Lady-in-Waiting, and The Bones Do Lie

The Girl Who Heard Dragons is available in paperback.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: THE GIRL WHO HEARD DRAGONS: Discussion August 2012

Thanks, Melissa!  I started reading last night, and got through the introduction (which I agree is fun!), and the title story.  How will the discussion be structured?  Will you put up a thread for each story, one for each week's reading, or should we just discuss everything in this thread?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

I was going to put up a thread for each week, then a post for each story within the respective week. So sorta organized :smileytongue:

dulcinea3 wrote:

Thanks, Melissa!  I started reading last night, and got through the introduction (which I agree is fun!), and the title story.  How will the discussion be structured?  Will you put up a thread for each story, one for each week's reading, or should we just discuss everything in this thread?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

As a general comment, I feel like this book is giving me stylistic whiplash - fantasy, to sci-fi, to absurdism, to space opera....They're all good stories, good construction, but I just don't feel settled while reading.  It's hard to "get in the groove" so to speak.

Melissa W.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I agree that there is quite a range in this book!  I kind of like it, though, because it shows a range that I don't get from just reading the Pern stories.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia