Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

THE GIRL WHO HEARD DRAGONS: Discussion August 2012

So I said I'd get this up yesterday...and then I forgot the book at home.  Oh the dangers of getting used to digital culture!!  I had to remember to bring a paper book with me. :smileytongue:

Anyhow, LbW is dipping a few more inches into the Fantasy genre with Anne McCaffrey's story collection The Girl Who Heard Dragons.  The title story is set in McCaffrey's dragon-centric Pern.

Discussion Schedule:

Week 1, August 6 - 12: Introduction (which is pretty funny), The Girl Who Heard Dragons, Velvet Fields, Euterpe on a Fling, and Duty Calls

Week 2, August 13 - 19:  A Sleeping Humpty Dumpty Beauty, The Mandalay Cure, A Flock of Geese, and The Greatest Love

Week 3, August 20 - 26:  A Quiet One, If Madam Likes You..., Zulei, Grace, Nimshi, and the Damnyankees, and Cinderella Switch

Week 4, August 27 - September 2: Habit Is an Old Horse, Lady-in-Waiting, and The Bones Do Lie

The Girl Who Heard Dragons is available in paperback.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: THE GIRL WHO HEARD DRAGONS: Discussion August 2012

Thanks, Melissa!  I started reading last night, and got through the introduction (which I agree is fun!), and the title story.  How will the discussion be structured?  Will you put up a thread for each story, one for each week's reading, or should we just discuss everything in this thread?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

I was going to put up a thread for each week, then a post for each story within the respective week. So sorta organized :smileytongue:

dulcinea3 wrote:

Thanks, Melissa!  I started reading last night, and got through the introduction (which I agree is fun!), and the title story.  How will the discussion be structured?  Will you put up a thread for each story, one for each week's reading, or should we just discuss everything in this thread?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

As a general comment, I feel like this book is giving me stylistic whiplash - fantasy, to sci-fi, to absurdism, to space opera....They're all good stories, good construction, but I just don't feel settled while reading.  It's hard to "get in the groove" so to speak.

Melissa W.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I agree that there is quite a range in this book!  I kind of like it, though, because it shows a range that I don't get from just reading the Pern stories.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia