Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

THE MASTER BUTCHERS SINGING CLUB: Discussion July 2012

As I mentioned earlier, Louise Erdrich has always been the bridesmaid with this group.  I checked my spreadsheets for previous rounds of nominations/voting and she's always made it to the short list for voting but never quite made the cut.

Well, she makes the cut now.  The Master Butcher's Singing Club explores many themes relating to family, immigration, belonging, and memory.  The main character is a German immigrant, a survivor of the Kaiser's army in WWI, but fate lands him in Argus, North Dakota - the setting for many of Erdrich's novels (her use of the same "world" and multiple narratives often earns comparisons with Faulkner's Yoknapatawpha novels).

The Master Butcher's Singing Club is available in paperback and ebook (it was also available in audio if you happen to run across a used copy).

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

Re: THE MASTER BUTCHERS SINGING CLUB: Discussion July 2012

The book has also been translated in French in 2003 and has been published in hardback and paperback cover. I was about to order it in English but I just walked in a library and the bookseller sold it to me at once (in French). So far I am enjoying reading the book. I have just spent a week in Alsace (East of France, next to Germany) and what I saw at the butcher's reminded me so much of Fedelis' sausages: such a large variety unseen in the other parts of France!

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

German butchers/food

I've never been to a "traditional" butcher shop (I think they're maybe considered "artisanal" in the US) so I went digging online for some pictures.

Google has historical images for German butcher shops here.  Just a caution: it also mixes the meaning of "butcher" when used to reference the Holocaust, so some of the images are of human remains and gruesome.

German Food Guide - not a historical site, but it does have lots of pictures and description of traditional German food and restaurants in the US

(and then kind of a sad article - from Smithsonian Magazine 2010, about how the traditional butchers in Germany are closing up because of American-style supermarkets)

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: German butchers/food

When we lived in Oxford, England, we went to the historic market in town called the Covered Market and saw traditional butcher shops. They were like nothing I had ever seen in the United States. Whole and partial animals were on display, offered for sale. I pictured the butcher shop in the book like those shops.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.