Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

THE MYSTERIES OF UDOLPHO: Discussion Schedule December 2008/January 2009

During the cold, snowy months of December and January, curl up by the fire and join us for Ann Radcliffe's The Mysteries of Udolpho.  Unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere, then head off to the beach :smileyvery-happy:  The novel is set up in four volumes, so we'll read two volumes in December and two in January.

Discussion Schedule:

Week 1 (December 1 - 7): Volume I, Chapters I - XI (approximately 120 pages)

Week 2 (December 8 - 14): Volume I, Chapters XII - XIII and Volume II, Chapters I - V (approximately 120 pages)

Week 3 (December 15 - 21): Remainder of Volume II (approximately 100 pages)

December 22 - January 4):  Holiday Break!!  I'll be around online, but we won't be discussing any new portions of the novel!!

Week 4 (January 5 - 11):  Volume III, Chapters I - IX (approximately 120 pages)

Week 5 (January 12 - 18): Volume III, Chapters X - XIII and Volume IV, Chapters I - VI (approximately 100 pages)

Week 6 (January 19 - 25): Remainder of Volume IV (approximately 120 pages)

Week 7 (January 26 - February 1):  Discussion of the Novel as a Whole

I will also be opening threads for discussion of the novel in comparison with Northanger Abbey and The Castle of Otranto; I'll open up other threads for different offshoots as neccessary.

I will be using/reading the new printing of the Oxford World's Classics edition, released November 2008 (here's the older printing).

Other available editions:

Dover Classics (but this doesn't appear to be a Dover Thrift edition)

Penguin Classics

Barnes and Noble Library of Essential Reading (decent edition, but not many notes)

Kessinger Publishing (appears to be a print-on-demand)

Wildside Press (and a hardcover, too)

Dodo Press, Part I and Part II

Kessinger Press also has a volume available with three of Radcliffe's novels (The Italian, The Romance of the Forest, and The Mysteries of Udolpho)

Udolpho has not been adapted for film/television/stage where the production is available on DVD.  Lynn Marie Macy has apparently adapted both Udolpho and Northanger Abbey in a stage production.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman

Re: THE MYSTERIES OF UDOLPHO: Discussion Schedule December 2008/January 2009

You can also download an electronic copy in many formats from this site.  If you don't have an e-reader such as the Kindle or Sony, you can read it on your Palm or iPhone, or using the free Mobipocket Reader, or in Adobe pdf format. 
0 Kudos

What fun Melissa!  It came ready-loaded on my Ectaco reader and I read the first two books then put it aside for W&P.   I'll get back to it!    
Contributor
Ela87
0 Kudos

Oh, I hope I can get my hands on this it sounds exciting!!!
"Character is always lost when a high ideal is sacrificed on the altar of conformity and popularity." - Charles Spurgeon

If you can dream it, you can do it. - Walt Disney
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

Too long. Count me out on this one.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

OOh, yes, long, but SOOOOO good!

Well, maybe an abridged version would be beneficial, but still, for those who like description, there are few books with a richer, more robust palate of scenery descriptions than Udolpho.  

0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

Well, maybe an abridged version would be beneficial, but still, for those who like description, there are few books with a richer, more robust palate of scenery descriptions than Udolpho.  

Eman -- If you recognize what might help us who founder before monster tomes (like Udolpho and Middlemarch), do share your tips for tackling books like these. 

(Yes, I am managing to read Underworld, War and Peace and the Scriptures this year, but only listening and reading is saving me.  I suspect part of the secret may be learning to pace one's reading and yet not abandon a book because one is concurrently reading something else.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Participating in a book group with a reading schedule is the key for me in getting through a long classic that contains boring parts.  That's how I completed Middlemarch, Anna Karenina, and War and Peace.  Stick to the schedule!

Now, current long books are no problem for me...:smileywink: 

Peppermill wrote:

Everyman wrote:

Eman -- If you recognize what might help us who founder before monster tomes (like Udolpho and Middlemarch), do share your tips for tackling books like these. 

(Yes, I am managing to read Underworld, War and Peace and the Scriptures this year, but only listening and reading is saving me.  I suspect part of the secret may be learning to pace one's reading and yet not abandon a book because one is concurrently reading something else.)

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The only tip I have is to start at the beginning, read through to the end, and if your memory is as bad as mine,  take some notes so you can remember who was who and what was what.

Remember, the read of a thousand pages starts with a single word.  :smileyhappy:

Seriously, though, I LIKE long books IF I like the characters (or at least enough of them) and writing.  A long book gives me more time to spend with them, to get to know them, to share their lives. 

(Of course, I also like good short stories, but that's another matter.)

Peppermill wrote:

Everyman wrote:

Message Edited by Everyman on 11-18-2008 06:53 PM
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

Seriously, though, I LIKE long books IF I like the characters (or at least enough of them) and writing.  A long book gives me more time to spend with them, to get to know them, to share their lives. 

I agree 100%!!!  I really enjoy long books that are descriptive and written well.  I have a friend who is a retired English teacher and she told me that she rates how well she enjoys the book by how much she thinks about the book and it's characters while she is reading and after she has finished.  The longer the book, the longer the characters are a part of your life and in your imagination!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: THE MYSTERIES OF UDOLPHO: Reading long books.

"Seriously, though, I LIKE long books IF I like the characters (or at least enough of them) and writing.  A long book gives me more time to spend with them, to get to know them, to share their lives."

Mmm... I don't think I very often develop such relationships with fictional characters!  Have to consider that more going forward.

Thx for your response!

Everyman wrote:

The only tip I have is to start at the beginning, read through to the end, and if your memory is as bad as mine,  take some notes so you can remember who was who and what was what.

Remember, the read of a thousand pages starts with a single word.  :smileyhappy:

(Of course, I also like good short stories, but that's another matter.)

(The following are edited.)

Peppermill wrote:

Everyman wrote:

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

A little note before we start

I have the threads for Weeks 4 - 6 locked down for the time being; I'll open these up for discussion when we get closer to January 5.  The Week 7 thread (discussion of the novel as a whole) is open for discussion of general themes; it's a "read at your own risk" thread so be wary if you are not especially fond of spoilers.

That being said, have at it!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I ran into trouble this week because my chapter divisions aren't the same as yours.  You have four books in your copy with the chapter numbering restarting in each book; I have two volumes with the chapter numbering continuing. (I'm using the Barnes and Noble Library of Essential Reading edition; surprised you aren't using a BN edition!)

You don't say how many chapers are in each of your books, so I don't know whether we have the identical chapter divisions or not.   

I have 57 chapters in my book.  If yours total 57, then just tell me how many chapers in each book (saying "to the end of Book 2 doesn't help!") or tell me the titles of the first chapter in each book and I can figbure it out from there.

Don't want get ahead of the reading schedule and risk spoilers!

0 Kudos

I think that I am using the same edition as Melissa -- the just released in November edition from Oxford.  It is divided as follows:

Volume 1: Chapters 1 - 13 (to p. 160)

Volume 2: Chapters 1 - 12 (p. 161 - 340)

Volume 3: Chapters 1 - 13 (p. 341 - 511)

Volume 4: Chapters 1 - 19 (p. 512 - 672)

I believe that is 57 chapters.  (Melissa, please check me.)

There are no chapter titles in my copy.

Everyman wrote:

I ran into trouble this week because my chapter divisions aren't the same as yours.  You have four books in your copy with the chapter numbering restarting in each book; I have two volumes with the chapter numbering continuing. (I'm using the Barnes and Noble Library of Essential Reading edition; surprised you aren't using a BN edition!)

You don't say how many chapters are in each of your books, so I don't know whether we have the identical chapter divisions or not.   

I have 57 chapters in my book.  If yours total 57, then just tell me how many chapters in each book (saying "to the end of Book 2 doesn't help!") or tell me the titles of the first chapter in each book and I can figure it out from there.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Yep, 57 chapters is correct.  So the second week would go through Chapter 18 (it should end with Emily heading to bed and the clock striking one).

(and I'm not using the BN edition because I wanted the introduction and notes in the Oxford :smileytongue:)

Peppermill wrote:

I think that I am using the same edition as Melissa -- the just released in November edition from Oxford.  It is divided as follows:

Everyman wrote:

You don't say how many chapters are in each of your books, so I don't know whether we have the identical chapter divisions or not.   

I have 57 chapters in my book.  If yours total 57, then just tell me how many chapters in each book (saying "to the end of Book 2 doesn't help!") or tell me the titles of the first chapter in each book and I can figure it out from there.

Melissa W.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

pedsphleb wrote:

(and I'm not using the BN edition because I wanted the introduction and notes in the Oxford :smileytongue:)

:smileyvery-happy: That's why I chose it, too!  The B&N intro was actually available online, attached to the product description, anyway, so I figured I would choose another and have access to both.  On the other hand, I was too impatient to order it to wait a few weeks until the new version came out, so I have the older one.  I wonder what the difference is.

I'm happy with the edition, so when I recently decided to order two Dickens novels that the Classics group will be doing in a few months, and there were no B&N editions, I went straight for the Oxford editions.

Another thing I like about it, if I can explain it well enough, is that it has a nice flexible cover, so it is easy to open and hold open, even though it is a long book.

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 12-11-2008 11:08 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Thanks. 

BTW, I was careless about mentioning chapter titles; my book doesn't have them either. 

Peppermill wrote:

0 Kudos

Oh, dear, I have gotten too caught up in this book!  I had been planning to take a break after Volume 2, since that is all we are supposed to be discussing in December, with a two-week break before going in in January, and I was going to read some things for some of the other book clubs in between.  But I just got so engrossed that I read quite a bit over the weekend, and have just finished Volume 3!!!

How far have others gotten so far?

I think I'm going to stick with this and just hope that others are still willing to discuss the Classics short stories a bit late, when I get back to them.  I also hope I can still remember the details in January!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I'm on schedule.  But not so much by intent as by having too many other books I'm reading simultaneously, and having less time to read during the holiday season (not to mention that I'm babysitting this afternoon, and will be off the computer as soon as they wake up from their nap.)
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

How far have others gotten so far?

I am still in the middle of the first section of reading.  I'll be back to this book in a day or two, and I will be using the two week break to read and catch up.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.