Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

THE SPARROW: Chapters 11 - 17

Please use this thread for discussion of Chapters 11 through 17.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Re: THE SPARROW: Chapters 11 - 17

Chap 11-17,  This is the part of the book where they first hear the E.T. Music coming from Rakhat. And Sandoz is the first to suggest that " it must be God's will for all of them to go together." Ann is the only one who is not convinced. I thought about how Ann came to change her mind. It wasn't until she see's a woman who had brain injury come into her trauma unit from a bus accident.That she tell's her husband George that she has decided to go on the Mission to Rakhat. 

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

While on the asteroid going to Rakhat. on pg. 155. ( nook) the planet comes into view for the first time. Everyone is talking at once excited about seeing it. And Sandoz faints. Dr. Ann looks after him and they begin to talk in confidence. And that's when he tells Ann that he fainted because he ws surprised to see the planet.On page 157.Ann is confused and says " I thought you had a direct line to God about this ?" 

Then Sandoz explains that" he was just toying with the idea that it was Gods will that they all go" And he expected everyone have a good laugh at his expence.( I thought wow now he tell's her.) So I guess as time went on and everyone was really trying to make the E.T. contact mission happen. Sandoz had mixed feelings about what he should do. He dosn't feel that God would choose him for something like this. But as all the logistics were worked out and the mission was launched. He kept his feelings to himself and hoped  it all was God's will after all. He also tells Ann "it's frightning and I don't know why."   

Wordsmith
Fozzie

Re: THE SPARROW: Chapters 11 - 17 - Humor

I liked the bits of humor scattered throughout the book, which lightened things up a bit.  Some were laugh out loud funny.  Here’s one I noted on page 100:

“Faced with the Divine, people took refuge in the banal, as though answering a cosmic multiple-choice question:  If you saw a burning bush, would you (a) call 911, (b) get the hot dogs, or (c) recognize God?”

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie

At this point in the book, I began to realize just how multilayered it was.  Each of the characters has his/her own back story, there is the story of how the mission came about, there is the story of the actual mission (which hasn’t been told yet), and there is the story of the aftermath and inquiry, not to mention the stories of the interactions between the characters.  Great story telling and book construction!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

I had a hard time just thinking about what to respond to in the disccusion, there was so much going on to talk about.I felt all of it was interesting. Sandoz's friends how well they got along before and after they landed on Rakhat.All very interesting people.Even brother John & Brother Edward  Brother Fellipe. They all had a story to tell. Very well defined characters.