Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

THE SPARROW: Chapters 25 - 32 and the Novel as a Whole

Please use this thread for discussion of Chapters 25 through 32 and the Novel as a Whole.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: THE SPARROW: Chapters 25 - 32 and the Novel as a Whole

Horrifying is the word I would use to describe the ending to the book!  Wow!  Even with the hints of what was to come, I was not prepared for the ending.  Did anyone else feel prepared for this ending?

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

I Re: THE SPARROW: Chapters 25 - 32 and the Novel as a Whole

[ Edited ]

It took me a while to process it Fozzie. Your right a real stunner. I never saw that coming. Thats why I wanted to clear the decks in my mind before I read The Children Of God.  I am glad I saw this discussion when I did. I was going to start to read it. I don't read a book twice very often. The last one was" The Road." Just to see if I missed something. I am reading the sparrow again too. I really like the charecters, I was getting fustrated with Sandozes behaivor but now I understand him. The poor guy.  

Wordsmith
Fozzie

Re: I Re: THE SPARROW: Chapters 25 - 32 and the Novel as a Whole

optic_i wrote:

It took me a while to process it Fozzie. Your right a real stunner. I never saw that coming. Thats why I wanted to clear the decks in my mind before I read The Children Of God.  I am glad I saw this discussion when I did. I was going to start to read it. I don't read a book twice very often. The last one was" The Road." Just to see if I missed something. I am reading the sparrow again too. I really like the charecters, I was getting fustrated with Sandozes behaivor but now I understand him. The poor guy.  

I never found myself frustrated with Sandoz's behavior --- I found myself frustrated with Father Giuliani's impatience with Sandoz.  It is amazing that Sandoz was able to even survive, not just physically, but mentally.

Laura

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I know, not only that he survived but he was alone. And to have the world think the worst of him.  I was fustrated because he wouldn't  say what happened. I know part of it was he was broken. And he is angry with God. I kept thinking" just tell them". They will help you. But of course he had to do it in his own time.I remember the part early in the book. Page on pg. 68 ( Nook) format. When Father General Giuliani spoke to Sandoz. He was asking him if he thought he was the only jesuit to feel this way ? He goes into detail about what the Jesuit's had to endure through out their history.I think it was Giuliani's way of showing Sandoz that he is not alone and he alone wasn't betrayed by God. Just think all this started with a song.  

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Oops ! I meant to say that Sandoz wasn't the only one to " feel " he was betrayed by God.
Wordsmith
Fozzie

I could not figure out the meaning of the title.  Thankfully, it was finally spelled out for us on page 401. 

Matthew 10:29-31

“Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.  And even the hairs on your head are all counted.  So do not be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows.”

Emilio is like the sparrow.  God hasn’t forgotten him, or abandoned him, but still watches over him. 

But, as Felipe Reyes says on page 401, “But the sparrow still falls.”

Will Emilio be able to pick himself up and live life again?  I am guessing that is what we will find out in the next book.

Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie

The reading group guide claims that The Sparrow “is a magical novel, as literate as The Name of the Rose, as farsighted as The Handmaid's Tale and as readable as The Thorn Birds.”

These are all books I want to read, but haven’t yet.  Has anyone else read any of these books, and if so, do you agree with the statement?

Laura

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

I have not read any of these yet, but would be interested in reading them now that you have mentioned them. I do like complex stories. Mostly after reading "The sparrow" I know that other books I have picked to read will fall flat by comparision.  But at least I still have" The Children of God " to look forward too. Thanks again Laura :smileyhappy: 

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15

It's possibly as literate as The Name of the Rose which contains a great deal of Church history baked into the narrative.  I don't quite consider The Handmaid's Tale farsighted - it's a bit more like a cautionary tale that freaks me outj (although, one could consider The Sparrow a cautionary tale in many ways as well).

This is definitely not as readable as The Thorn Birds.  My mother had a copy that I read ages ago because I'd seen the miniseries with Richard Chamberlain - The Sparrow definitely takes more concentration.  Much more, especially at the beginning.

Fozzie wrote:

The reading group guide claims that The Sparrow “is a magical novel, as literate as The Name of the Rose, as farsighted as The Handmaid's Tale and as readable as The Thorn Birds.”

These are all books I want to read, but haven’t yet.  Has anyone else read any of these books, and if so, do you agree with the statement?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Thanks for your insight on these reads Milisssa . I agree The Sparrow is an emotional roller coster ! It's like  having your heart and mind on steroids.

Chap. 25-32.

This is where Sandoz and and everyone on the Rakhat mission meet the other dominate species the Jana'ata and the merchant Supaari and begin a relationship with him. He is as surpised to see humans as they are him. The Runa just told him they were foreigners. So he thought they meant some one from the same planet. Supaari is terrifying large carniavor with 3inch claws and rows of sharp jagged teeth. Not what they expected after spending time with the docile Runa. They can speak with him just as they do the Runa. But this is where the similarity ends. The Jana'ata are the ruling class and have an heirarchy class system that rules them. First born sons warrior's and at the Top. Second born sons goverment & politics second from Top. third born sons merchants (Supaari) and traders.are third from Top. Only first & second sons may have ruling familys or descendents. The thirds are sterile. A strange system made stranger by the third sons creative perersuits. Some like Supaari are ambitious and crave a founding line. Or doing something that can create a new ruling family of their own. Others crave artistic pursuits in new Music, poetry, Songs. these are the singers that the jesuit mission has come light years to contact.      

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

One of the things that I had trouble understanding in this book, why hadn't they thought to protect themselves with some type of weapon. Even a stun gun would have been usefull. I know it was a Jesuit Mission, but even Father D.W. had his old shotgun. So why not arm all of them ? The technology must have been advanced enough for them to have a concealed weapon just in case. With what happened to Ann & D.W. they never saw comming. But when the others returned to the Runa village and saw what happened to them. I would think they should have expected and been on the look out to protect themselves from anymore attacks. I think they felt too comfortable with the Runa.Like nothing bad happened to the Runa so they were safe with them. 

Correspondent
streamsong

There's a wonderful old gospel song called "His Eye is on the Sparrow".  Sometimes, reading the book, the song was so loud in my head, that it almost drowned out my reading. :-)

Here's the youtube video of Ethel Waters singing it in the 1952 film Member of the Wedding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoCO_1GcoV0

Also, when I read the wikipedia entry on the Mary Doria Russell, I was very interested to find out she had been raised Catholic, but had converted to Judaism. I may have this wrong, but my understanding of Judaism is that many Jews believe that God does not intervene in human events the way that Christians believe He does; but that He stands back and watches and is not moved by  petition and intercessory prayer.

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for that link Streamsong. :smileyhappy: 

That was very touching and perfect for this story. 

So often we can look back in history and say "What happened ? Where was God ? " The early Christians were thrown to lions. 6 million Holocaust victims. The premise is the same Evil entertainment or Evil extermination. Both were represented in the " Sparrow" Sandoz was the entertaiment for a bored rich class. Under the guise of Art. They did not care about his life just as they did not care about the Runa. The Runa were slaves and food. God is found in everyone who witness things like this and care enough to change it. For all those sparrows who suffered. 

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

One of the things that I had trouble understanding in this book, why hadn't they thought to protect themselves with some type of weapon. Even a stun gun would have been usefull. I know it was a Jesuit Mission, but even Father D.W. had his old shotgun. So why not arm all of them ? The technology must have been advanced enough for them to have a concealed weapon just in case. With what happened to Ann & D.W. they never saw comming. But when the others returned to the Runa village and saw what happened to them. I would think they should have expected and been on the look out to protect themselves from anymore attacks. I think they felt too comfortable with the Runa.Like nothing bad happened to the Runa so they were safe with them. 

I was also surprised that they did not have more weapons with them, even if they didn't use them.  I think you are right --- they were lulled into a false sense of security by the Runa.

Laura