Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

THE SPARROW: Discussion Schedule November 2012

I hope the beginning of November finds everyone safe and dry and ready to start our trip with "Jesuits in Space".  The Sparrow was Mary Doria Russell's debut novel - before this, she wrote scientific tracts as a paleoanthropologist (!).  Multi-talented!

Discussion schedule:

November 5 - 11: Prologue and Chapters 1 - 10

November 12 - 18: Chapters 11 - 17

November 19 - 25: Chapters 18 - 24

November 26 - December 2: Chapters 25 - 32

December 3:  Continued discussion of the book as a whole

The Sparrow is available as a paperback, NOOKbook, and audio (mp3 and CD).

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: THE SPARROW: Discussion Schedule November 2012

A Thread of Grace  

I have also read this book by the author and recommend it.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Correspondent
streamsong
0 Kudos

Some of you may remember me from a few years back. It's nice to see some familiar names.

I've read the first few chapters of this intriguing book and look forward to the discussion. 

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,  I loved the sparrow and have recently down loaded the follow up book The Children of God. What luck seeing this Discussion. I will hold off reading the next book. I would love to join this Discussion. Since it was a while ago that I read the sparrow. I will just re-read the first part and join in. Just like the group is now.

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Welcome, Optic! :smileyhappy:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Correspondent
streamsong
0 Kudos

Hello Optic--I'll probably read The Children of God later this month, too.

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Thanks Milissa, I am looking forward to joining you in this discussiion. :smileyhappy:  

Hi streamsong, what a nice penn name you have. I really wanted to read The Children of God too. 

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hi streamsong, what a nice penn name you have. I really wanted to read The Children of God too. 

I finished The Sparrow last night and now The Children of God is on my TBR list too!

Laura

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Fozzie ,  Happy that your going to read the Children of God too !  Hmmm maybe we could have a discussion on this one too. Maybe Melissa could arrange it sometime in the future. 

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hi Fozzie ,  Happy that your going to read the Children of God too !  Hmmm maybe we could have a discussion on this one too. Maybe Melissa could arrange it sometime in the future. 

Yes, maybe an "extra" discussion option.

Laura

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Children of God?

I can do that :smileyhappy: 

Since we don't have an official book for December feel free to discuss (I'm thinking I'm up for that sequel, too).  Do you guys want me to break up the book into threads like we usually do or just put up one?  I can do either.

Fozzie wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Yes, maybe an "extra" discussion option.

Melissa W.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Children of God?

Melissa_W wrote:

Since we don't have an official book for December feel free to discuss (I'm thinking I'm up for that sequel, too).  Do you guys want me to break up the book into threads like we usually do or just put up one?  I can do either. 

How about a couple of threads, like beginning, middle, and end?  I don't want to create a lot of extra work for you.

Laura

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

No prob :smileyhappy:

Fozzie wrote:

Melissa_W wrote:

How about a couple of threads, like beginning, middle, and end?  I don't want to create a lot of extra work for you.

Melissa W.
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

I finished the Sparrow last night for the second time. I was glad I read it again. And I will be starting the Children of God soon. Thanks again Melissa. :smileyhappy: 

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

You're welcome - I'll have those Children of God threads up today most likely.

optic_i wrote:

I finished the Sparrow last night for the second time. I was glad I read it again. And I will be starting the Children of God soon. Thanks again Melissa. :smileyhappy: 

Melissa W.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Children of God - threads up!

Work got a bit crazy before the holiday but I got the threads up today.  Post away :smileyhappy:

I hope everyone had a relaxing weekend.

Melissa W.
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Re: Children of God - threads up!

Thanks Melissa,  I just started" Children of God " last night. Looking forward to it. :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Thanks Melissa,  I just started" Children of God " last night. Looking forward to it. :smileyhappy:

I am going to start it in a couple of days.  I needed a "palate cleanser" light read after The Round House, so I am reading Garden Spells.

Laura

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Laura,  I just started " Children of God" and it's awesome. Just perfect for Christmas. reading. And I am a slow reader. So I know you will finish it before me even if you read more books in

between. :smileyhappy:  

Also I read the" Doomsday Book"  By Connie Willis, last year at this time it takes place in the past & Future at Christmas Time. If you have not already read it. I recomend it it is one of my top 5 books. " Children of God & The Sparrow " are in my top 5 now.