Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

WYGB: Part Seven and the Novel as a Whole

Please use this thread for discussion of Part Seven "The Runaway Bunny" and the Novel as a Whole.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

Re: WYGB: Part Seven and the Novel as a Whole

Did you read this in the N.Y Times' book update? , She mentions several woman writers who might be worth reading but unfortunately I don't know any of them! How nice it is to read her interview, she sounds very friendly.

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Thanks for the link to the interview.  I have The Corrections but have not read it yet.

As for Bernadette, I found it thoroughly entertaining.  It was clever the way Bernadette disappeared.  It was also heartwarming to see the family come back together.  While the story started as a social satire, I thought it ended as a family story.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

Thanks for the link to the interview.  I have The Corrections but have not read it yet.

As for Bernadette, I found it thoroughly entertaining.  It was clever the way Bernadette disappeared.  It was also heartwarming to see the family come back together.  While the story started as a social satire, I thought it ended as a family story.

And not just Bernadette's family, either.  Audrey finally came out of her thick fog of denial about Kyle, Soon faced the reality that Elgin had never loved her (how in the world they're going to work out the issue of that baby needs another book).

Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Lorrie Moore is an excellent short story writer - I picked up her BIrds of America from the library sale the other month.  I've read Franzen and Roth and I can see where they've influenced her writing with the emphasis on family drama/discord and interplay with the neighbors/community.

chadadanielleKR wrote:

Did you read this in the N.Y Times' book update? , She mentions several woman writers who might be worth reading but unfortunately I don't know any of them! How nice it is to read her interview, she sounds very friendly.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

This was the hardest part of the novel for me - when it turned from satire to drama - because I wasn't expecting it.  I'd really been liking Bernadette's goofiness and Audrey's looney shennanigans and then it was all gone and Bee was shipped off to Choate (ugh) and began obessessing over Josh Groban's "O Holy Night".

I loved the tie-in with the Runaway Bunny children's book - very sweet.

Fozzie wrote:

Melissa W.