Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

WYGB: Part Three and Part Four

[ Edited ]

Please use this thread for discussion of Part Three "Menace to Society" and Part Four "Invaders".

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: WYGB: Part Three and Part Four

I loved the book, but I thought that having the Delhi Virtual Assistants International be a front for a crime syndicate working out of Russia did not ring true.  I think a crime syndicate would have acted much more quickly in stealing personal and financial information.  However, it was funny!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady
0 Kudos

It did irritate me a bit the way Elgin's absorption in his latest Microsoft project kept him from really getting it about Bernadette, even after her letter to Paul.

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Redcatlady wrote:

It did irritate me a bit the way Elgin's absorption in his latest Microsoft project kept him from really getting it about Bernadette, even after her letter to Paul.

I agree.  But, mybe you need to be that absorbed in work to do that kind of work.

Laura

Melissa_W

That part did seem a bit odd, too, but I think it did a good job of warning people about the information you give to total strangers online!

Fozzie wrote:

I loved the book, but I thought that having the Delhi Virtual Assistants International be a front for a crime syndicate working out of Russia did not ring true.  I think a crime syndicate would have acted much more quickly in stealing personal and financial information.  However, it was funny!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
Melissa_W
0 Kudos

Given what's been published about Steve Jobs, I'm sure working for Microsoft/Bill Gates is very similar (personality quirks aside) - if you can't get the project going and out the door to make the shareholders money then it gets canned.

Which is sad - how many good ideas do you think they have stashed away that they filed patent on, just to have the IP rights, but couldn't find anything to do with at the time that possibly could be useful in different hands?

Fozzie wrote:

Redcatlady wrote:

I agree.  But, mybe you need to be that absorbed in work to do that kind of work.

Melissa W.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Melissa_W wrote:

Given what's been published about Steve Jobs, I'm sure working for Microsoft/Bill Gates is very similar (personality quirks aside) - if you can't get the project going and out the door to make the shareholders money then it gets canned.

Which is sad - how many good ideas do you think they have stashed away that they filed patent on, just to have the IP rights, but couldn't find anything to do with at the time that possibly could be useful in different hands?

It seems like the oppostie of what I have read about 3M.  The glue on Post It notes was essentially discovered by accident.   At one point, 3M allowed it's employees to work 10% of their time on their own projects, or something like that.  Apparently they came up with some good ideas.

Laura