Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
FictionFanaticKS
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

2 lost books, probably from the 1990s or late 1980s. 2 different authors.

Hello once again, community of book lovers.

This time I'm looking for 2 different books.

Book 1: possibly written in the late 1990s

It tells the story of a peasant girl who's grandmother is accused of witchcraft, dragged through the streets, and hung in their home village somewhere in Europe. Her mother, whom is supposed to be long deceased, rescues the girl from the village before they can turn on her too and cleans her up, then buys her fare on a ship bound for America. On the ship, she saves the life of a baby that was born blue and wins favor with the baby's family. They take her in once she reaches America and she lives with them for a while. She works as a midwife and healer, falls for a young man with a prominent position in the community--I think he was the preacher-- and befriends Indians. The years pass and witch hysteria reaches America, landing the girl right back in the hands of a mob. I don't remember what happens from there, though.

Book 2: maybe 1980s

This is a two part story about a mysterious creature living in a swamp-like place. The first part tells the story of a young girl who was sacraficed to the creature so that it would leave her tribe alone. They did the ritual offering every year, or every couple of years, to appease the creature's taste for blood. Her story ends with her tied to the stake, waiting for the creature to kill her. The second part is set closer to present day and begins with another woman, this one in her twenties or thirties, who is an archeoligist who finds the remains of the girl from part one and tries to uncover the story behind the ritual sacraficing. In the process, the woman meets and sort of falls for a mysterious rich man who's family has lived in a mansion just a few miles from her dig site for the last several hundred years. The rest of the story is sort of foggy, but I think the woman discovers that the mysterious man is thousands of years old and he either controls the creature or he is the creature. I believe in the end he does kill the woman, but not before he tries to impregnate her or lets the creature try to impregnate her.

Any help is significantly appreciated.

-K

Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

Re: 2 lost books, probably from the 1990s or late 1980s. 2 different authors.

could the second book be this one? Granted, I've only made it part way through and it was published later, but the general plot seems to be similar.

Labyrinth  

Frequent Contributor
FictionFanaticKS
0 Kudos

jaquellae wrote:

could the second book be this one? Granted, I've only made it part way through and it was published later, but the general plot seems to be similar.

Labyrinth  

Not the book I'm looking for, but thank you for both the effort and the suggestion of something new to read. This Kate Mosse novel does sound like a nice adventure.

-K

Frequent Contributor
FictionFanaticKS
0 Kudos

To those interested, I finally found the books.

Book 1- Witch Child by Celia Rees

Book 2- The Bog by Michael Talbot

-K