Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
I-like-Reading
0 Kudos

A gay private investigator

Hello,

Several years ago I read a story about a gay private investigator.  I believe it was a series of books.  I believe the investigator lived in California and can't remember much else.  I do remember he was kidnapped by the killer and chained/locked up.  I also think the investigator started dating a new guy and there was something about somebody being HIV positive. 

I remember this was a good mystery/thriller book.  But I read this right around the time my son was born and needless to say I was very busy.  So for the life of me I can't recall the title or the name of the author.  

Any help would be sooo appreciated!

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: A gay private investigator

Not sure the book title, but I think I know the author. Look up Christopher Rice.
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

There is a series of book by Michael Nava who's gay attorney Henry Rios investigates cases.

Also there is the Dave Brandstetter series by Joseph Hansen

I hope this helps

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
New User
I-like-Reading
0 Kudos

I am off to the bookstore tomorrow after work to look for these two authors.  Thanks and I hope one of these is the one!

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

After thinking about it I think the Joseph Hansen series is the one your thinking of.  If I remember right the main character's long term boyfriend ends up becoming HIV positive in later books.  The first book is Fadeout.

If you like the series the Henry Rios books by Michael Nava are really good.  The first book in the series is The Little Death

I don't know if you are interested but there are some other "gay" detective series out there.

The Stan Kraychick series by Grant Michaels is about a hairdresser, first book is A Body To Dye For

The Donald Strachey series by Richard Stevenson is about a P.I., first book is Death Trick.  They have made four of these books into movies starring Chad Allen.

Mark Richard Zubro has two series.  The Tom & Scott series, which is about a highschool teacher and his boyfriend the proffesional baseball player.  The first book is A Simple Suburban Murder.

His other series is about a Chicago cop, Paul Turner.  The first book is Sorry Now?

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
New User
I-like-Reading
0 Kudos

Thanks for all the good tips.  I may check a few of them out.  I had no idea there was so much out there.  I happened to stumble on my book way back when at the local library.  I think the reason I liked it so much was because the story line was so well written, the fact that the main character was gay was a small side-story.  The main focus was on the action in the story. 
New User
ReeseDelaney
0 Kudos

Bugchaser  is the beginnings of the gay detective series. It was inspired by the Ellroy LA series.