Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Koruton
0 Kudos

Adult Fiction, Young author sleeps with mentor's girlfriend

Hi everyone,
I've been trying to find a particular book for weeks and haven't made any progress - hopefully someone on this board will be able to give me a hint.
The book must have been published in 2009 or early 2010 and was originally written in English. I thought I remembered it being quite popular but haven't found it on various bestseller lists. I remember the cover quite clearly, in the background there was a black and white picture of a street, possibly with an old street light and the title of the book was written in very tall, yellow letters all over the photo.
The story was fictional and set in the second half of the 20th century in a major city. The main character is a young and struggling author, possibly still a student. He moves into the apartment of his sister which is in a town he isn't familiar with. At some party he meets a very fascinating man with a somewhat dangerous aura, who is somehow connected to war (shady war correspondent, arms dealer or something similar) who offers to support the young man's quest to become an author financially. He provides the means for the young man to get involved with a magazine and publish his own writing/translations. The young man ends up sleeping with the mysterious lover of his mentor and feels very guilty about it even though it is later on suggested that the older man had known about it all along and possibly even encouraged it. There might have been a few homoerotic undertones in the book - I think the three main characters get pretty tangled up in a love triangle but eventually the young man opposes the older man's wishes/commands and 'escapes'.