Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

American explorer childrens book

Alright this may have been a childrens book it may have been targeted at teens. I ran across it around 1985.

Family is trail blazing. Father builds cabin, leaves son (perhaps the mother too) behind to go back east to trade for supplies. Cabin burns down. Son wanders the woods. Finds a tree somewhat hollowed out. Scrounges for supplies. Learns trapping and hunting the hard way. Hollows out the tree further, winterizes it. Makes his own clothing. Encounters Natives, makes friends. Survives the winter. Father returns. 

If anyone has the slightest idea, I'd appreciate it.   

Blogger
L_Monty
0 Kudos

Re: American explorer childrens book

I think you're off a little bit on some of the family details, but I'd be surprised if it weren't My Side of the Mountain.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

L_Monty wrote:
I think you're off a little bit on some of the family details, but I'd be surprised if it weren't My Side of the Mountain.

Ah.. that's not it. Though I'm fuzzy on some of the details since it been well over a decade.

But that is definately not it. Though not a bad book from the looks. 

Blogger
L_Monty
0 Kudos

Rats.
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Alright this may have been a childrens book it may have been targeted at teens. I ran across it around 1985.

Family is trail blazing. Father builds cabin, leaves son (perhaps the mother too) behind to go back east to trade for supplies. Cabin burns down. Son wanders the woods. Finds a tree somewhat hollowed out. Scrounges for supplies. Learns trapping and hunting the hard way. Hollows out the tree further, winterizes it. Makes his own clothing. Encounters Natives, makes friends. Survives the winter. Father returns. 

If anyone has the slightest idea, I'd appreciate it.   

I think it's The Boy Who Lived In A Tree by Mitch Martin

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

That looks closer, but still not it.
New User
Deeberg
0 Kudos

Try this one: The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sign_of_the_Beaver

It sounds much closer, though still not exactly, to what you remember...

Good Luck

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

BINGO! Though it looks like I may have merged two book in my childhood brain.

Thank You!

New User
gr8fulSJ
0 Kudos

This reminds me of a movie that I think was based on a book. I can't think of the title either. The video I had was distributed by Feature Films for Families. The mother was played by Annette O'Toole. When I go to the library where I donated the movie I'll try to check on it for you.