Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
JamBnell
0 Kudos

Been racking my brain trying to remember this book for years......

[ Edited ]

I read a book in 4th grade about a nuclear attack - around the same time of reading things like Number the Stars, The Giver, and Hatchet - so it would be around that level of reading.

Here is what I remember:  Protagonist was male; staring out the window above the kitchen sink when a blinding light and deafening sound hits; house is left in ruins.  Boy crawls to the family's underground fallout shelter (with his family?)  Remains there for some time.  Emerges to find help for a family member, finds the neighbors (dead or alive, I can't remember?), and a makeshift hospital being set up by the community.  Drags the family member there for treatment, and I believe the book ended with him running around trying to help "patients" in any way he could.  

I remember there being a subplot about the main character loving to run, although I may be melding two stories together on that one.

Also, 90% sure the cover is of a ranch-style home sitting on an empty lot, just grass/driveway/ hill in the background - no trees or anything in the yard.  Bluish tone.

Reader
cambridge47
0 Kudos

Re: Been racking my brain trying to remember this book for years......

Your post makes me think of this book:

After the Bomb by Gloria D. Miklowitz.  I read it in 7th grade, it is sort of a young reader book, despite being a pretty heavy topic.  The cover and plot you described are as I  remember them, the book itself is for sale thru B&N and Amazon.  The Amazon listing for the book has a picture of the cover.  From what I remember, the narrator lives in a suburb of Los Angeles, and after the explosion he is looking for his father.  Along the way, he helps locate a source of clean water for a hospital, and helps other people with different problems.  (SPOLIER ALERT) He doesn't find his father at the end of the book, but is confident he is alive.

I hope this helps!