Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
smithga
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Book I read in the early to mid 80s.

If anyone could help: In the early to mid-80s there was a series/collection of books that I enjoyed. I don't have much information to go on, but what I remember is this:

They were stories about animals' adventures and each book was about a different animal. As I recall, the animals weren't overly personified, such as in "the adventures of Frog and Toad" but they were fiction stories.

The only detail of any of the books that I remember is in the book about the mouse. The mouse was running in and out of tunnels in the snow trying to avoid being caught by owl.

I know that this isn't much info. to go from, but if anybody remembers the name of one of the books, the name of the collection, or the name of the author, please let me know.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Book I read in the early to mid 80s.

Ok if Add Product was working I'd show you the Mossflower series and ask if this was what you were looking for.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Ok if Add Product was working I'd show you the Mossflower series and ask if this was what you were looking for.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=Mossflower+series&bnit=H&box=Mossflower%...

Try above?

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
B&N Bookseller
melissas
0 Kudos

Could it be the Rats of Nimh series? Robert O'brien wrote the first book, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. His daughter wrote two more books based on the first.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33

Thornton W. Burgess wrote a series of books about animals, one of which was The Adventures of Danny Meadowmouse - it includes a scene where Danny is escaping across the moonlit, snowy meadow pursued by an owl.

A list of Burgess titles is here - they include skunks, crows, bears, rabbits, etc.  Burgess was a naturalist and most of his children's books were published before 1950.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
New User
undies78
0 Kudos

Ohhhh man does that take me back!!  And the movie - The Secret of Nimh!!  I take it that was based on those novels??  I love that movie- own it on DVD!! :smileyhappy:

melissas wrote:

Could it be the Rats of Nimh series? Robert O'brien wrote the first book, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. His daughter wrote two more books based on the first.

New User
rottenrotts
0 Kudos

Maybe the Animal Ark Series? Puppies in the Pantry  

New User
smithga
0 Kudos

Melissa_W,

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! This has been bugging me for the past several years. If I wasn't a married man and this wasn't the internet, I'd give you a big, fat kiss!!!!!!!!

To everybody else, thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate your time and input.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

LOL, smithga :smileyvery-happy: You're very welcome!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
New User
chansonCH
0 Kudos

could the author be Avi - just one name, no first/last combination? I don't remember the titles of any of his books, but the scene of the mouse in the snow sounds familiar.