Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Cleonicole
0 Kudos

Book Set in 1800s London England

My teacher read it to my class when I was in the 6th grade which was 1989, but she told us that she had been reading it to her class for the last 15 years.  She would do the voices in an English accent due to the content, very Pygmalia/My Fair Lady style.

It was a novel "chapter book".  It took place during a war, but I am not sure which one.  A young boy about 12 and a young girl about 8 were sent to live on the outskirts of London in a Mansion.  They were not related to one another, but were sent away to live here because of the war.  The girl was extremely homesick and about four or five chapters in the Masion burnt down and their guardian (the owner of the home) was killed in that fire.  They had no where to go so they headed to London where the boy had to work in the city sewers and the girl had to work in a factory.

I want to say it's set around the same time as Charles Dickens did a lot of his stuff, very seedy London when they had all of that pollution until the ban of burning leaves.