Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
starsinheavenalign
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Book about an orphan girl who is raised by the town witch.

I remember reading this book series as a young teen, and I thought my cousin would enjoy them, but I remembered that I couldn't recall the name of them. The first book is about a oung girl who ends up an orphan. The head of the town decides to basically auction her off to whoever wants her. She ends up with a couple that mistreat her, and puts her to work making lye soap, even though it's a dangerous job. I can't remember if there was another little girl that they had taken in, and she fell into the boiling lye, I could just be confused about this fact. The town ends up outraged with the couple and put the little girl up for auction again, but this time the only person that will take her is the town witch. She lives on th outskirts of town somewhere and takes the little girl in, even though the girl is frightened at first. The witch starts to teach her about magic and all that se knows. Eventually the girl becomes a witch. There's a but I remember about the town trying to take the girl away from the witch even though she's been the only person that has shown the girl love and compassion. The girl flees through a secret passage in the witches house. I can't remember what happens after that, but I can remember a part that happens later in the story. The witch told the girl about how each witch makes their own cloak, and that each witches cloack has specific colors. The colors come to the girls by natural instinct, and then the young witches weave the cloaks. I believe the girl ends up figuring out her colors, but that is where I left on in the series because the books were due at the Library. After that I couldnt remember the title of the book to borrow them again, so I never got to finish the series! Any help would be greatly appreciated! :smileyhappy:

Contributor
starsinheavenalign
0 Kudos

Re: Book about an orphan girl who is raised by the town witch.

I should also mention that this is a young adult series of about two or three books. I borrowed them from the library around 2002-2005.

Contributor
starsinheavenalign
0 Kudos

I've just realized the part about the lye soap was from a different book! I think I better document the books I choose to read from now on! :/ lol
New User
Jingle_Belle
0 Kudos

Hmmm, would it be Monica Furlong's Wise Child? The other books are Juniper and Colman. The lye thing did throw me off, but without that it might be Wise Child.

Contributor
starsinheavenalign
0 Kudos

Yes! That's the book! Thank you so much, I can't wait to read them again, and share them with my cousin.