Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
lolobristow
0 Kudos

Children's Riddles, illustrated and possibly published in 1994

I have been searching high and low for this book! When I was in Elementary School, our English teacher read a book to use that made you think. It's not silly childish riddles but ones that involved (not horrible) crimes. This edition was hard cover with black and white illustrations. If I am not mistaken it had a strange drawing of household items stacked on top of a chair (strange, I know). This was back in 1994 so my memory escapes me on the author and title. I will give an example of one riddle. It's not an exact quote but the end result is the same.:

John and Tom enter a dinner and wait to order lunch with drinks.

The waitress recognizes these two men. They had stolen all her life savings and they were the reason why she was working part time as a waitress. She takes the order of both men, they did not recognize her. She prepares their drinks and adds poison to both. She serves the drinks to both men and waits. John drank his drink and lives. Tom drank his drink and dies. What happened?

Thanks for reading my post! Hope someone can help me out!

How's that for a slice of fried gold?
Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

Re: Children's Riddles, illustrated and possibly published in 1994

It sounds vaguely like Shel Silverstein. This one has a cover most like the one you described:

Every Thing On It  

Contributor
lolobristow
0 Kudos

Thank you but this is not the book :smileyhappy:

How's that for a slice of fried gold?
Contributor
CanonAlberic
0 Kudos

This sounds like it might be Two-Minute Mysteries, by Sobol.  It seems to have been reprinted in the early 90s.  I can't figure out how to post images, but it's on the B&N website.  (Amazon gives you a chance to look inside the book, if that helps.)