Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
solostone
0 Kudos

Does anybody recognize this book?? Girl with burns

Between 1998-1999 I was sitting in a college library studying when I grabbed a book off the shelf behind me and started reading.  Rather than finishing my work, I finished the book.  A passage in the book dealing with death has stuck with me and would be especially comforting given recent losses.  Unfortunately,  I don't remember the name/author and despite multiple attempts over the years I've never been able to find the book.  My memory may be a little to a lot fuzzy but does anybody recognize the book described below?

The main charecter in the book was a young girl in a rural area who I believe had fairly severe burn scars on a part of her body (arm?).  I think the book focused on her coming to terms with her burns and a relationship she formed with an adult friend.  It seems that her mother was distant.  The passage that stuck with me was one where it discussed what people did in the afterlife and I'm paraphrasing but it went something like "Those who die when they are young and strong push the water down the river.  Those who die when children tickle the grass roots to make it grow.  Those who died when older blow the clouds through the sky."

I know its a long shot but I thought I would try here.  Does this sound familiar to anyone? 

A couple of last pieces of information are that the book was likely either on a new arrivals or staff recommendations shelf in 98-99.  While I could be completely off it seems like there was something in the title related to bees.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ryan

New User
solostone
0 Kudos

Re: Does anybody recognize this book?? Girl with burns

I'm still looking.  Anybody?