Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
spinnerLR
0 Kudos

Fantasy with overweight girl on quest with talking animals

Looking for a fantasy novel I read in the 90's about a girl who goes on a quest with sarcastic talking animals as companions. I don't remember many details, though I believe she loses weight on her journey, making her more attractive though she doesn't realize it.

Contributor
TessaD
0 Kudos

Re: Fantasy with overweight girl on quest with talking animals

Perhaps this?  It was from 1994 but I don't know if it's the right one because you mentioned a "quest" but check it out to see....

Pigs Don't Fly

• by
  • Mary Brown

``I was a huge lump of grease, wobbling from foot to foot like ill-set aspic,'' confesses Summerdai, the heroine of this improbable charmer with the equally improbable title. Because of her girth, the 17-year-old Summer was passed over to replace her mother as the town prostitute. Equipped with a few supplies, a small dowry and a rather ugly ring left by her mysterious father, she sets out. But the ring is actually a bit of unicorn horn that warns her of danger and, most importantly, allows her to communicate with animals. In quick succession she picks up a ratty dog; a badly used horse; a starved turtle; a wounded pigeon; a man who lost both sight and memory after a bump on the head; and a rather curious little pig with tiny bat wings. The seven of them head south to look for the homes of horse, pigeon and man, during which Summer gains much self-confidence and loses much weight while the small pig/bat gets larger, wiser, more mysterious and more lovable. Funny, moving and always unpredictable, Brown's ( The Unlikely Ones ) incredible journey may disappoint readers looking for established genre formulas but for those more adventurous and independent sorts, it is a find. (May)