Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
JustAGirll
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Girl who lives in museum but doesn't know....?

This book I read a long time ago. I can't remember there name or the author but I'm dying to reread the book. I remember some specific details:

The story starts off in the 1900s and the people in their small quaint village are dying of pneumonia or some other curable disease, but they are not advanced in medicine yet so they are all dying.

Only some people know that they are in a muesem, in which people can see them; their village, and that they are constantly being watched.

A mother sends her daughter out to the real world, but first takes her to the woods and gives her daughter her only left treasures from before they came to the 'village'. The girl must go seek medical help for her brother and community, as the museum is ignoring the disease because of the risk of the children finding out it is fake.

The girl puts on her mom's old 'real world' clothes and exits the exhibit through a fire escape, she tags a long with a group on a field trip from their school but then breaks out and heads down the road. 

This is all I can remember, but in the end I do think there is a press conference after she finds help from a few people, maybe a trucker...? I just know the beginning really stood out to me! I wish to read this again, it may be called a ripple in time, or something similar!

-Thanks.

Inspired Correspondent
racheling
0 Kudos

Re: Girl who lives in museum but doesn't know....?

Running Out of Time  

Jessie lives with her family in the frontier village of Clifton, Indiana, in 1840 — or so she believes. When diphtheria strikes the village and the children of Clifton start dying, Jessie's mother reveals a shocking secret — it's actually 1996, and they are living in a reconstructed village that serves as a tourist site. In the world outside, medicine exists that can cure the dread disease, and Jessie's mother is sending her on a dangerous mission to bring back help.

But beyond the walls of Clifton, Jessie discovers a world even more alien and threatening than she could have imagined, and soon she finds her own life in jeopardy. Can she get help before the children of Clifton, and Jessie herself, run out of time?

New User
JustAGirll
0 Kudos

THANK YOU! (=

Frequent Contributor
drgnlady
0 Kudos

I love this book!  I read it when I was younger and recently bought a copy for myself and to share with my children in the future.

New User
JadeEdwords
0 Kudos

Absolutely one of my favorite books when I was younger!