New User
lovelylynda
0 Kudos

Government Mind Swapping

I am looking for the title and author of a science fiction story I read around 2000, but the story was written in the 1950's or 1960's. It is a science fiction novel.

The story takes place with this man who suddenly finds himself in another man's body. There is a woman with him, and the woman calls him Tony, even though he knows that is not his name. This couple also has two friends that are part of the story. Tony is an officer with the government, but also secretly is part of an underground movement that does not feel with the government is doing is right. The man who is in Tony's body is very pro-government, but as he spends more and more time with these people, he starts to question his beliefs.

Every now and then, the man whose mind has been put into Tony's body gets pulled away, and government officials question him on what is going on with this couple and what they are up to. As he is put back into Tony's body, he comes upon them at different times in their lives. At one point, the other couple tells Tony and his girlfriend that they finally got their permit to have a baby!

Towards the end of the book, it comes out that Tony is possessed by this other man's mind. I am not really sure how it ended, except that they had to go on the run. I also think in the ending, they find out the man was really dead, but they were somehow able to use his conciousness, which is how he ended up in Tony's head.

Any help on the title would be greatly appreciated! I have been wracking my brain trying to remember.