Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
ezri
0 Kudos

Kids mystery book, gold cat statues

This is a children's book I read about twenty five years ago.  It's a mystery type book with a group of kids (I can't remember how many or if they were all boys although there were at least two boy characters).  It had to do with visiting a museum and buying replica cat statues, then discovering that some of the statues were made of gold and marked with a slipped letter in the serial on the statue.  The main passage I remember is when one of the characters related the story of Archimedes discovering displacement in the bathtub and yelling "Eureka!".  Then they use displacement to discover that the cat statue is actually made of gold.  I think it had to do with a gold theft in which the thieves disguised the gold as replica statues and meant to collect them at a later time.

Reader
ezri
0 Kudos

Re: Kids mystery book, gold cat statues

Bump.

Anyone know this book?  I don't think it was a Hardy boys or any series of mystery books.  My dad was friends with a librarian in our town and she let me pick out several books from a big box of books that the library received (I guess from publishers) and didn't have room to shelve all of them.  This was one of those books so I don't think it was a very popular one.  The other books I recieved at the time (that I can remember, or still have) were: Uncle Terrible; Loretta P. Sweeney, Where Are You?;Chip Mitchell: The Case of the Chocolate-Covered Bugs;The Slug Who Thought He Was a Snail.

They all appear to have different publishers, so I don't know if this will help at all.

Reader
ezri
0 Kudos

bump

New User
chrisazalea666
0 Kudos

could it be the box car children