New User
ycornelius
0 Kudos

Literary novel set in Africa man and woman are possibly married archaeologists or missionaries

The book is mostly about their relationship told in first person from each of their points of view, mostly from the point of view of the woman. It is not Out of Africa or I Dreamed of Africa. It's less well known, and I think was probably published in the 70's or 80's, possibly 90's. Again, the prose is pretty dense, and it's not an adventure story, it's more psychological. It has a one word title like Lovers or something like that. Obviously that isn't it because it would be pretty lame but you get the idea. Also, I'm fairly sure the author is American, or British and not African but I could be wrong.

Anyway, if this rings any bells please take a guess, I've been looking for it forever and it would be much appreciated.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick

Re: Literary novel set in Africa man and woman are possibly married archaeologists or missionaries

[ Edited ]

Found this one with a one word title: "Mating" by Norman Rush. The reviews present a difficult read.

Found one but it doesn't have the one word title, here it is anyway "Climate of Change" by Hilary Mantel.

New User
ycornelius
0 Kudos

Re: Literary novel set in Africa man and woman are possibly married archaeologists or missionaries

Hi yes it is Mating! So they're anthropologists. That would be why my searches weren't working, and nobody I asked knew what I was talking about...

Anyway thank you!! This is really great. I had almost given up. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick

OH good! Glad it was one of those. Insomnia does wonders for book searches. LOL!