New User
dragnmuse
0 Kudos

Looking for a book where a boy kills people partly because he thinks it will help his girlfriend

Years ago I read a book that I remember quite a bit about, except of course the title and/or author.

First, I read it in hardback. It had a dust jacket with a white cover. In the center of the cover was an image of one of those old-timey gilded mirrors. 

The main character is male who slowly goes more and more crazy as the story progresses. He kills his uncle and stashes his body in the trunk of the car. Somewhere in the story he meets a girl who's somewhat alienated from her family/society and he feels he's met a kindred spirit.

I don't remember how many people he killed, but he decides to hide the bodies in the coal cellar of a house he comes across. He kills either the owner of the house or the real estate agent who shows him the house (not sure which.)

He then proceeds to brick over the inside entrance to the coal cellar and paint over it so it doesn't look like it's there.

Somewhere in there he kills a member of his girlfriend's family. It may be her mother or her grandmother? In his twisted mind it made sense that by killing the member of her family it would allow them to be together. He may have killed others for the same reason.

I seem to recall that she had found the body of another of her family murdered in the past (by someone else) and she has a mental break when she comes home and finds that her boyfriend has killed someone else. I don't think she knew it was him, though.

Back at the house, the boy dumps the bodies of at least his uncle and the owner/real estate agent through the access chute in the backyard. Somehow he ends up falling in himself and is unable to get out. Someone who is comes along a little bit later wonders why the cover is off the chute and replaces it. So, he's entombed with the bodies of those he's killed.

I also seem to recall that the author was someone I had heard of and whose name, either first or last, was near the beginning of the alphabet, perhaps a B? However, this part may be completely wrong; I remember the plot much better.

Any ideas? 

Thanks in advance!

Cathy

New User
dragnmuse
0 Kudos

Re: Looking for a book where a boy kills people partly because he thinks it will help his girlfriend

In case anyone else is interested, the answer is A Sight for Sore Eyes by Ruth Rendell