Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Jingle_Belle
0 Kudos

Looking for old fantasy novel.

I once read a fantasy book that had one of the worst cliff-hangers ever, never got to read the sequel, and it's been living and nagging at the back of my brain ever since. I seem to have misplaced the book during my young nomadic years and I can't remember the author or the title, but I think I remember some story bits that should narrow it down.

-- If I'm remembering correctly, the cover had a group of people on a small boat, like something that would be sent off a larger ship.

-- Most of the story takes place on a ship, which is captained by an Elf.

-- A witch (though I almost want to say female wizard) is traveling on this ship with her grumpy old father wizard.

-- There might be a type of Little Person, perhaps 12" or so?

-- Wizards can become young again by traveling to a special wizard land and performing a certain ritual.

-- When the woman was at school, there was this "girly" spell you could cast which would show you the face of your true love in a mirror. I think the Elf captain was her true love. Anyway there was a spark between them.

-- I don't really remember the plot at all, but it ends with this group of wizards performing this elaborate dance to get into their special wizard land just seconds before a giant wave comes and drowns the area. You don't know if they made it or not.

I would love to be able to find the book, read it again, and finally read the sequel! I mean, I'm pretty sure no one died, that would be a terrible way to start the second book, but my curiosity has been stewing over this story for YEARS! Please help! Thank you!

New User
Jingle_Belle
0 Kudos

Re: Looking for old fantasy novel.

UPDATE!: A member from another forum found it for me, but I can't delete this thread. If you're curious, it was Voyage of the Fox Rider by Dennis L. McKiernan.