Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

Looking for old gothic mystery series books?

I,m trying to remember the name of several books written by an author like Victoria Holt back in the 70's. They were about a family and each book was about a separate generation. The first one was about a young woman hired as a governess to a couple of children. She kept seeing a ghost of a woman in the house while working there. Seems like the lord of the manor was disfigured in some way? That is about all I remember of the story. The author was a popular one at the time and one of the books, near the end, she wrote under another name. I keep thing one of the last books in the series might have been somthing like Sins of the Fatherrs or something like that. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
Contributor
hdeakyne
0 Kudos

Re: Looking for old gothic mystery series books?

Bride of Pendorric, The Shadow of the Lynx, King of the Castle & Mistress of Mellyn

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44755.Bride_of_Pendorric_The_Shadow_of_the_Lynx_King_of_the_Castl...

Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

Thanks but it's not volt, it's a different author. Barbara Michaels is the only other author from this time I remember. Any suggestions on more authors who wrote these gothic mysteries?
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Could it be one called "Asta's Book" by Barbara Vine (a pen name of author Ruth Rendell): A gripping tale spanning three generations. Asta and Rasmus come to England from Denmark in 1905. Seventy years later, Asta's granddaughter publishes her diaries and brings to light an unsolved crime.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Inspired Correspondent
thans56
0 Kudos

Nope not it either but thanks.
Reader
bookaholic-Kathy
0 Kudos

Suggest you try the website Gothrom.net. It specializes in Gothics. Also Wikipedia.com is useful for odd searches.Hope this helps.

New User
smjlpn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Are you thinking of the Pembroke Brides  series? I believe the author was Kathryn Kimbrough ( last name may be off a little) Each book was named after the title character in the book it would be a female. I cannot remember any exact title but can remember some of the females such as Augusta I believe that book was Augusta the first.  Susannah, you get the point.

The common theme was Augusta (I think) was that ghost who came to these women at some point in the story. They werealways meeting some kind of trial in their life. I believe there werearound 25 or thirty books in the series. I used to own many of them.

Hope that helps! I may have to post my own questions about two old books I am looking for.

Sorry that would be the Phenwick Women

New User
BeachMouse
0 Kudos

The series is called The Phenwick Women Saga by Katheryn Kimborough.  I believe they are out of print and no longer available.

I loved this series and read many of them.  My collection got thrown out when I was moving.  I'd love to be able to buy them again, as would my sister, who was also addicted to them.  I'd love to buy at least one of them to start for her birthday in April.  does anyone know where or if we can purchase these books?

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

the websit is Albiris.com, or seach google for Albiris. It's a website for used, rare and out of print books.  I alreadys searched and this series is available.  I don't know if the entire series is available but some were.  I have bought from this website before and they can be trusted.