Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Zozizzle
0 Kudos

Looking for young adult/teenage book set on an island

I read these books a few years ago, I think there were 3 of them but I can't remember what they were called.

I do remember that the author was a man and he died before completing the series.

They were set on an island where only men were allowed to use a mirror to shave so young girls played a looking game where their friend described what they looked like. The women wore their hair in plaits and were only allowed to wear it down on their wedding day. All of the men learnt to swim because they went fishing for a living but the girls/women were not allowed to swim and the main character taught herself to swim by tying her plait to something so she wouldn't float away. Something happened that caused her to swim off and then she clung to a log and was rescued by a boat. I think the people on the boat were from a different country so she didn't understand their language. They cut her toenails because they had grown long but her fingers were raw from clinging onto the log. Before she had been at the fishing part of the island but (a few years later?) she went back to a farming part of the island undercover so no one would recognise her but I can't remember why.

I hope you can help me! :smileyhappy: