Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
lkgremaud
0 Kudos

Lost Children's Book

I can't remember the title or author of a book I read as a child.

It was about a little girl who is captured and/or wandered into the hands of a witch in a forest.  She acquires a mirror and a comb (perhaps one other thing) and she also feeds the witch's starving dog some of her meals.  When the little girl escapes and the witch is going after her she throws the comb behind her and it becomes a forest and soon after drops the mirror behind her and it becomes a lake.  I don't remember much more than that.

Contributor
DBall7984
0 Kudos

Re: Lost Children's Book

Hi!

It might be the story "Baba Yaga". Does the witch's house have chicken feet?

Contributor
JamiSings
0 Kudos

Re: Lost Children's Book

I agree with DBall. The thing is, there's LOTS of different Baba Yaga stories. However some elements stay the same. 

The house has chicken feet. There's a fence made of skeletons. The girl steals things from Baba Yaga such as the comb and a bag of gold that Baba Yaga originally stole from the girl's father. She feeds a starving dog, goat, or lion. She takes bread out of an oven. And there was something with a stick, I think, or maybe it was wool that needed to be spun. Either way these animals and items all refuse to tell Baba Yaga where the girl has gone.

The girl does things like turn herself into various creatures and things like ducks, roses, etc. Baba Yaga responds in kind until the girl manages to kill her.

In some variations the girl is originally sent there by her step-mother for a coal to restart the fire, but in reality the step-mother is hoping that Baba Yaga will kill the girl. In other versions the girl goes there looking for a job. 

Go to the folk/fairy tales section of your library, you'll find LOTS of different versions of the Baba Yaga saga.