Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
randyrlee2
0 Kudos

Modern western drama/spy series, t rex fossil, K-T extinction event, NSA, alien nanovirus, hellfire

I am looking for a modern kinda western spy series where the good guy, or his wife, is a vetaranarian.  In the book I bought and lost it starts with a prospector in New Mexico (I think) finding a T. Rex fossil and taking a sample of it.  He gets killed and the main character, who just happens to be riding in the vicinity, hears the gunshot and investigates and finds the prospector, who gives him something (maybe a cipher of some kindn).  Somehow the fossil part ends up in a laboratory being investigated by a grad student, who finds something really weird about it and makes a phone call which is picked up by an NSA satellite, which causes a shady government spy character to start killing people, starting with the professor at the lab investigating it. 

The main character needs help with the cipher and looks up an old spy buddy at a local monastery.  He figures it out as a location, and decides to help find it.  On the way the bad guy shoots a Hellfire missile at them from a drone.  Bad guy enlists the help of some Ranger types, the leader of which uses a .22 magnum pistol.  They helicopter in to kill the main character and his buddy, but the Ranger guy won't kill them without reason. 

Anyway, I woul love to find this series and read them all.  Any help would be appreciated.  I got it in a bookstore at an airport a few years ago.  Thanx for your help!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Re: Modern western drama/spy series, t rex fossil, K-T extinction event, NSA, alien nanovirus, hellf

That sounds vaguely similar to this one, but the specifics are off:

Secrets of El Tovar Canyon

Contributor
ShayneParkinson

Re: Modern western drama/spy series, t rex fossil, K-T extinction event, NSA, alien nanovirus, hellf

Is it Tyrannosaur Canyon?

Sentence of Marriage, A tale of Victorian New Zealand.
New User
randyrlee2
0 Kudos

YES!!!!  Thank you so much.  I really appreciate your help in finding the title.  THANX!!!!

Contributor
ShayneParkinson
0 Kudos

Great! I'm glad I could help. :smileyhappy:
Sentence of Marriage, A tale of Victorian New Zealand.