Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Mousy_sker
0 Kudos

Need Author: Male romantic comedy turn of the century?

Back in MD, at least 5 years ago I read a few books by this author. They were a "series" of silly romantic comedies. What was striking was that the main character was a male. I don't remember if it was 1st or 3rd person, though I lean towards the latter. Most of the stories took place (I believe) about turn of the 20th century. There were motorcars, but not everyone used them. The stories (I believe) took place in Europe, but would occassionally have an "American" character.

I'm pretty sure th author was male, and the books were moderately old, a reprint of all his books in a set. The print (I am sure) was older than I am (I was born in '87). The books were hardbound, I believe still with acid paper, very basic cover (no illustration/coverart), and a dust jacket (again no cover art).

If anyone can help find this author I would appreciate it beyond belief. I have been going crazy trying to find the author again.

New User
ckralowetz
0 Kudos

Re: Need Author: Male romantic comedy turn of the century?

It might be PG Wodehouse. He wrote British romantic comedies, turn of the century and usually with male main characters. His most often used characters were Bertie Wooster and his valet Jeeves though he had lots of other books with a variety of characters. Hope this helps.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Need Author: Male romantic comedy turn of the century?

I was thinking Wodehouse, too. Even if it isn't Wodehouse, read him. He's a riot!

ckralowetz wrote:
It might be PG Wodehouse. He wrote British romantic comedies, turn of the century and usually with male main characters. His most often used characters were Bertie Wooster and his valet Jeeves though he had lots of other books with a variety of characters. Hope this helps.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton