Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
JamiSings
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Possibly called "The Children Nobody Wanted."

It was an old paperback I bought in a used bookstore as a child. Probably published in the 1960s. 

It was suppose to be the true story of a couple, the husband a minster or ministry student, the wife a typical home maker, who set out to adopt a bunch of kids because no one wants them. The children include several who are of mixed ethnic groups who aren't wanted by people in either group and one girl who had a birthmark on over half her face. 

I do know the story takes place after WW2 because one of the kids they wanted to adopt but could not was a little girl who was concieved in France during WW2. Her father was a black American solider, the mother a white French woman. Girl was raised by nuns and was the only black girl there. She was constantly begging people to buy her white socks and the nuns to wash her until she was white like them. The couple find a lot of red tape at first. So they instead tell about her a black couple they know who want children and they successfully adopt this little girl - all the red tape disappeared. 

I wanted to try and find the author because I was thinking about looking up if this really was a true story and if so, what happened to the kids when they grew up. I know the mother made a lot of predictions for the boys. Like one was very interested in mecanical things while another was more concerned about people. I assume most have long since died of old age. Still, I'm curious. Unlike Cheaper By The Dozen and Bells On Their Toes I don't think this book was every popular enough that people would be curious about the family years later. 

Contributor
JamiSings
0 Kudos

Re: Possibly called "The Children Nobody Wanted."

Oh, it could also possibly be The Family Nobody Wanted rather than The Children Nobody Wanted. 

Inspired Correspondent
racheling
0 Kudos

Yep, looks like your second guess was right.

Contributor
JamiSings
0 Kudos

Thanks. My version was a paperback showing a woman with short brown hair hugging a child. 

Now I can find out whatever happened to the kids.