Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
Shellbelle1
0 Kudos

Romance genre-published 1985-1992-contemporary-smalltown-poor girl rich boy-love lost

Characters names: Lisa- poor girl from wrong side of the tracks- becomes a Hollywood movie star

Matt- rich boy, star football player, destined for college ball- Alabama (I think)

Plot: Unlikely high school sweethearts.  Matt's father-who is the town banker- gets his friends to help break them up by spreading rumors that Lisa slept with them.  Matt's father wants them broken up because he is afraid that Matt is going to give up his college football scholarship to Alabama and chances at being a pro football player.  Matt breaks up with Lisa.  Lisa runs away because there is nothing left for her in the small town except drunken abusive father.  She goes to Hollywood and ends up becoming a huge star.

Matt is devastated from break up and turns his back on his friends and father.  He ends up turning down football scholarship and going to Georgia for college.  He becomes a heart surgeon.  He marries, has twin daughters, and divorces.  He finds out how his father and friends decieved him about Lisa all those years before.  He has never forgotten her and begins his search to reconnect and make amends.

This was a fantastic book and I have not forgotten it in all these years but somehow lost it.  I cannot remember the title.  I believe the cover had a woman's face with sunglasses on (like a Hollywood star).

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

Re: Romance genre-published 1985-1992-contemporary-smalltown-poor girl rich boy-love lost

Is it Solitaire by Lisa Gregory?

(I'm cheating with the guessing and I posted your query on another MB because the story sounds so good!!!)