Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
Sara406
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

S. King re: pain, water over pilings...

I read a Stephan King novel once many years ago that began with someome in pain. The character refered to the pain coming in waves as being similar to the crashing of waves over pilings.and then sweeping back into the ocean. Would sound like Misery but I never owned that book. Any other Thoughts? Or is anyone SURE it is Misery? Tia
Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

Re: S. King re: pain, water over pilings...

Tia, I can probably answer your question if you can narrow down for me just how long "many years" ago you're talking about.  Just working from memory, it could be Misery....or Duma Key....or so many others where he opens on a character who is going to do a flashback and tell the reader his story.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

I can think of a couple of books off the top of my head, aside from Misery:

Needful Things

Kingdom Hospital

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

Needful Things opens with an introduction to the town of Castlerock and it's inhabitants. 

As for "Kingdom Hospital", I remember that as being a made-for-television special written by Stephen King.  Perhaps it was based on one of his short stories, as I don't think there's a book by that name.

I'm trying to find my copy of The Stand, as I think there's a possibility there.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Thre's that short story too where everyone is on the beach dieing.

Not to mention

The Dark Tower II  The gunslinger wakes on the beach injured.

Contributor
hdeakyne

it looks like Misery. you can read the beginning on Google Books.

http://books.google.com/books?id=2ANRSQIyYqYC&lpg=PP1&ots=N5kXPWroow&dq=%22stephen%20king%22%20miser...

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Gosh, just about every Stephen King story has some sort of "wave of pain," it's one of his favorite expressions, but then how do you adequately describe pain. I think only his books on writing didn't have some sort of pain involved.

Can you remember any more about the story or a character's name or something that happened?

Are you sure it was a novel and not a short story or a collection of stories?

Reader 4
Sara406
0 Kudos

Funny at the time I was on pain meds Lol! I remember reading his discription of how the pain was rolling in - so accurate from oral surgery - my first ever surgery. It would have been roughly 20 years ago. It was a thick hard cover book and it must have started the book off this way. I never git further as the meds kept me sedated too well. Then unfortunately the book disappeared. :smileysad: For years I ave revisited what I remember of this discription depicting pain. Sorta like PTSD when I end up in pain suddenly the images congured up from reading this sweep my mind and I worry how muc pain the next wave of water will bring as it breaks over the pilings.
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Ok, I'm pretty sure it is Misery.

The story begins with author Paul Sheldon waking up in an old farmhouse and suffering from the pain of two broken legs and a shattered knee.

I just found a spot where it talks about the pain being east of the sun and south of his ears; and through the haze of pain he remembers a stone piling and the waves washing around it on the beach.

I don't have many King books because I gave up reading him when his language got too graphic and over the top. I was a loyal fan for a while.

I only have the paperback of Misery, but it's about 400 pages. Perhaps it was combined with some other stories in a larger volume like his works Skeleton Crew or Nightmares & Dreamscapes for a larger hardcover.

You can go over to Google books and read the first few pages and see if it fits.

The only other ones might be The Stand (starts out with a super-flu pandemic), or the story Night Surf (sort of the forerunner of The Stand), which did appear in a collection called Night Shift.

Here's a wiki link for King's bibliography:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King_bibliography

Distinguished Correspondent
tenagail
0 Kudos

I am SURE the book you are looking for is Misery by Stephen King.
Wordsmith
Runnergirl77

It is DEFINATELY "Misery".  I decided to swing by BN tonight on my way home, and I checked Stephen King's titles.  "Misery" opens up just as you described, with the main character waking up in pain, agony that washes over him like the tide moving in over the pier.

Reader 4
Sara406
0 Kudos

You guys are Great! Sounds to me like it must be Misery. Thank you all so much for your time - and dedication for getting me answers. This time I'll read it without a surgery -- or the pain Meds! ;0) Thanks again - and runner girl, I feel like I owe you a B&N cafe trip. :0) Thx!