Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Caffeined
0 Kudos

SOLVED: 70's SciFi youth/young adult short stories, alien world, warehouse.

[ Edited ]
Edit:  THis mystery has been solved on another board.  The story in question is by Robert Sheckley - Untouched by Human Hands. 

I have googled everything I can think of looking for this book for quite a while, and have never even come close to finding it.  Sometimes I wonder if I created it in a dream.

When I was in grade school in the 70's I read a book of science fiction short stories in the school library.  One of the stories I remember the most was about a man who traveled from earth, somewhat instantly as I remember, to an alien warehouse of sorts.

In the warehouse, he found many items of various sizes, one of which I remember vaguely being something like "Zorgs Crack FIller" which when he opened the small package it began to expand to huge proportions.  Another thing I recall he found was some sort of transportation that he determined to be some sort of living being.

I almost think there was another story in the book about a man who was contacted by an alien, giving him instructions on how to turn his skin blue with various chemicals to prepare him to travel to a new world.

I would so love to read this book again and add to my library.  Thanks for all you folks do.

Mike

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: SOLVED: 70's SciFi youth/young adult short stories, alien world, warehouse.

I did a bit of searching, not expecting to find much. You can download a free epub version from Wonder Publishing Group. It appears to be legit, and I am able to open and view the file. If you want the whole collection, I followed the now-defunct Fictionwise links back to B&N's offering.