Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Garyth
0 Kudos

Scifi about a a virus that is let loose from a Biogen company that rebuilds tissue

The book I have been searching for I read back in high school and have not been able to find it again. the plot goes like this :

Follows a few people who are trying to survive an outbreak of a virus that rebuilds tissue. Released from a biogenetics lab that was being funded by a religious organization that was also trying to creat the beast from revelation to start a new world order. The virus run rampant throught the US and spreads quickly past its borders. Everything infected with this virus comes back to life. Not undead zombie back to life. but for real living and breathing life. Down side is that the virus will rebuild all tissue including the meat isle at every supermarket, and any damage to the brain will get repaied but like a clean slate. In essence making someone a breathing, drooling, slack eyed veggie. Story goes on to bring these people together closer and closer finally uncovering a plot by the head of the religious organization (the antichrist) to use the virus and the genetically engineered beast to bring out revelation. Story sums up to all players meeting in washington for the final battle and to stop the antichrist from crashing a commercial airliner armed with a nuclear warhead from crashing into the capital.

One specific part of the book ( that stands out in memory) talks about how a group meets up with someone in the jungle (little foggy on location) they sit down to have a dinner with beef stew. The people are casrrying the virus and one buy runs to the bathroom to have a BM..... and prays that he wont be trrying to pass a growing cow. Because the virus has already started to rebuild the beef stew meat back into living tissue.

New User
JadeEdwords
0 Kudos

Re: Scifi about a a virus that is let loose from a Biogen company that rebuilds tissue

Wow! I have no idea, but your description makes ME want to find/read it as well!  :smileyhappy:  I will definitely keep my eyes open for you-and I will check back! 

Good Luck!

Contributor
Garyth
0 Kudos

Re: Scifi about a a virus that is let loose from a Biogen company that rebuilds tissue

I had read the book in high school and it was a good riveting read.  I have been looking for it again for years.  It saddens me that I can remember almost everything from high school except the title of this book!!!  But thanks.  I am still trolling google to find even a remote reference to the book's story line.  Yet to no avail.

New User
Steve55SL
0 Kudos

I am looking for the same book, I read it about 20 years ago. So the book has to be at least 30 years old then (1981-1991). I can’t remember the name of the title or the author. I can only remember bits and pieces of it, like you.

What I remember from the book;

If a person was burned up they didn’t come back due to the virus couldn’t change the ashes. When the government fell the President was killed in a fire when a fuel tanker exploded near Air Force one. The Vice President was strung-up by a mob outside of D.C. near a freeway on a freeway sign or light pole. Every time he came back to life he would die again.

A museum in New York had a mummy come back to life but was trapped in his glass box trying to get out. However,  a T- Rex dinosaur came back to life it was trying to get at the mummy.

War broke out between North and South Korea also.

Women could not have children, so no more children could be born.

But I still can’t find the book.

Contributor
Garyth
0 Kudos

Just an update.... still no luck on google searches for anything related to this kind of story line.  There are alot of other book running along this of revelation type scifi tale.  Yet still nothing that has a solid lead to this story yet.

Contributor
Garyth
0 Kudos

so far still no luck......

I have been diggin through libraries and bookstores at every opprotunity.  I just wish i could remember the title.  I will see if I can come up with some more info if I can remember it.

Contributor
Garyth
0 Kudos

I found a small lead..... There was a person at a half priced books that seemed to rememeber the book as well.  They could not remember the title of the books either.  But they seemed to think it was called alive... or survive.... or something along those lines....  will need to keep looking and searching.....