Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
indigorising
0 Kudos

Scifi novel - telepaths on starships, MC goes through a black hole and becomes a god?

HI,

I'm looking for a science fiction novel I read several years ago. It was an old book, probably published in the 80s or earlier, and was a small paperback, not terribly thick. It had a fairly short title, I think, maybe with the word "star" in it.

It takes place in a spacefaring civilization where telepaths play some sort of important role on spaceships, so that each ship has two. The main character is one of his ship's telepaths, and he was in love (I think) with the ship's other telepath, a woman. But she dies or leaves, and the replacement they get is a clone of her, who he falls in love with. The new telepath has dreams of a man coming to her from space on wings of fire and rejects the MC because of it.

Then somehow the ship is destroyed maybe, or there's a battle or something. I can't remember the middle part, but somehow the MC ends up becoming a kind of god, a member of a race of vastly powerful beings that can create planets and the like (I think they're called the Ea, maybe?) He creates a planet inhabited by super intelligent bears, and lives for centuries. Then the rest of the god-beings are somehow destroyed in a supernova? and the MC ends up returning to human form and being taken care of by the bear-people. They give him a spaceship so that he can go through a black hole, cross the event horizon, and go back in time to find the female telepath from before. His ship explodes over her planet and so he arrives in a way that looks like he has wings of fire and she recognizes him as her "starman."

Anyone recognize it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: Scifi novel - telepaths on starships, MC goes through a black hole and becomes a god?

I know I have read this book, and your plot summary is pretty good. I will see if I can find it again. My thinking is that the author is one of the classics, like Poul Anderson or Fred Pohl.