Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Crimson-Anime
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Search for Book Name, Please Help.

I'm looking for a book I read several years ago. I do not remember the name of the book or the author. I know it was a male who wrote it though. I've been looking for years for this book.

The cover of the book had a dark green background I believe, and it looked like a shelf of books that were back-lit by a glowing yellow light. The books on the cover were disheveled.

The plot of the book is very similar to The Mist by Stephen King, but it is most definitely not that book. Nor is it The Fog by James Herbert. Every search I do kicks those out, but it is definitely not them.

The book is about people who are in a bookstore and end up trapped in there by a mist/fog that cloaks the outside of the store. The bookstore is located in a strip-mall, and there was some type of talk about the location not being the best I think. One worker (a female I believe) has had to repeatedly tidy/replace a shelf of children's books because they keep being damaged by moisture and becoming disheveled overnight while the store was closed.

Another two employees were in a relationship/had an affair with each other, and are now not involved anymore, and it is stressful for them. There's a scene with them in the break-room of the bookstore, with the woman not being able to reach a coffee mug on a high shelf and the man coming up behind her to get it. She says something like "I don't bite", and the man recalls that she most definitely does. She has the memory of giving him oral sex in the shower and the taste of his skin and shower gel.

There are other people in the store for a book signing maybe. In the beginning chapters of the book there's a scene of a man waking up and the floors of his apartment are really cold and he debates getting up and going into work at the bookstore, he does go in.

There have been problems with the lights in the store flickering and going out I think. Most of the people die that were in the store I think.

Someone, I am pretty sure it was an employee, dies in a basement/lower level elevator. They were choked by mud/extremely dirty water welling up into the elevator somehow and they drown/suffocate even after having climbed onto some kind of furniture they were getting from the lower level/basement of the store. I do not recall if there are "monsters" but I think so.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I've searched and searched for this book for a really long time and have only come up with books that it is not.

New User
Crimson-Anime
0 Kudos

Re: Search for Book Name, Please Help.

The book has been found by Jeuls on another site, but I wanted to let ya'll know this has been resolved.

It's The Overnight by Ramsey Campbell.  

I will post about another book in hopes of getting another answer about a forgotten book title/author.