Contributor
Arichman
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Teen-Fiction about a boy who clones himself

I am trying to remember some of the books I read during my childhood. This one in particular was about a boy who somehow ends up with a clone and has it do things like go to school for him. But then things get out of hand and he realizes he might have to kill the clone. He wonders if it would be considered murder or suicide.

I may be horribly paraphrasing but this is all I can kind of remember. Anything even close to this might be it. So if you know of anything that sounds remotely close to this don't hesitate to post it. 

Thanks in advance.

Frequent Contributor
SallieVern

Re: Teen-Fiction about a boy who clones himself

"The Duplicate" by William Sleator

"David needs to be in two places at one time: a family party for his grandmother and a date with Angela. He finds what seems to be the perfect answer to this dilemmaa machine that has the power to duplicate organic material. Without considering the pos sible ramifications, he duplicates him self. From that moment, his life be comes a nightmare. Competition, particularly regarding Angela, is fiercelike sibling rivalry, only greatly intensified. Just when readers think that things can't possibly get worse, the duplicate duplicates himself, and then there are threeand each claims to be the original. Plus, each would like to solve his problems by getting rid of the others. Sleator has done it again, writ ing an intense thriller, with horror building gradually, in which science fic tion is blended skillfully with reality. Yet the gadget that sets up the story never becomes the storythe focus is always on David. At the moment of du plication, the copy is exact, with even identical memories. As time goes along, subtle differences emerge. It is to Sleator's credit that he manages to create three closely similar, yet dis tinct, personalities. In this way, he avoids potential confusion when all three are together. Sure to satisfy Slea tor's many fans and to win him some new ones"

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/duplicate-william-sleator/1102343655?ean=9780141304311

Contributor
Arichman
0 Kudos

Re: Teen-Fiction about a boy who clones himself

Hey thanks for posting. I have been racking my brain for a while now trying to remember this book.