Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
annmarie22
0 Kudos

Trying to find the title of a book I read as a child...

I would like for my daughter to read this book.  It was about a lonely little girl who has moved to an old Victorian house and finds a small playhouse version of the house in the woods.  It is dirty and dusty and filled with dolls and furniture.  She comes back the next day to clean it all and discovers that the dolls can talk.  She makes friends with another little girl who comes and visits the house too.

Ring a bell for anyone? I know I ordered it through the scholastic book club at school back in the late 70s.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

New User
mailgal
0 Kudos

Re: Trying to find the title of a book I read as a child...

not sure if you've had any luck with the name of this book.

Just a thought, have you done any sherches on google or yahoo?

Using different variations.

For exp. childresn's book, dolls alive, or book, house in the woods.

try different variations of the story. Good luck.

Frequent Contributor
geminiangel

This was a solution posted on another board, it sounds like it could be the book you are looking for:

The Secret Museum, by Sheila Greenwald.  Lippincott, c1974.  Jennifer is living in the country with her parents, two artists.  She follows the sound of crying in the woods, and comes across a small, deserted house that is a replica of a nearby mansion, filled with dirty and lonely dolls:  a King, a Queen, a Jester, and many others.  The crying had come from the queen doll.  Jennifer cleans up the dolls.  She makes friends with Lizzie, a girl who at first messes up the doll house, and the two of them decide to run the house as a museum to make money so that Jennifer's parents do not have to abandon their artistic dreams and go back to their teaching jobs in the city

becke_davis
0 Kudos

This book sounds wonderful.  I'm going to look for a copy of this.
Frequent Contributor
geminiangel

It does, doesn't it?  I may have to get a copy myself.   There are copies for sale right here on B&N:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?TTL=the+secret+museum&ATH=sheila+greenwald&W...

If you like dollhouse stories, two of my favorites are King of the Dollhouse by Patricia Clapp and The House in the Attic by Moyra McGavin.  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks -- I'll look into those, too.
Frequent Contributor
HarleyLBennett
0 Kudos

It might be The Dollhouse Murders by Betty Ren Wright, published by Scholastic in 1983.
Frequent Contributor
CuzEveryoneLovesACullen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

HarleyLBennett wrote:
It might be The Dollhouse Murders by Betty Ren Wright, published by Scholastic in 1983.

I was going to say either that or a book I remember from when I was in elementary school called When the Dolls Woke by Marjorie Filley Stover. Here is the Amazon page for it, as there's no picture of it available on B&N's website.

Dollhouse Murders <<<That's the picture/link for Dollhouse Murders. Hope this helps!

Message Edited by CuzEveryoneLovesACullen on 05-16-2009 05:04 PM
xXxXxXxXx
If we know the way we're gonna die, through all the rest we will survive ~The Academy Is... LAX to O'Hare
Distinguished Wordsmith
_K3LS3Y_
0 Kudos

annmarie22 wrote:

I would like for my daughter to read this book.  It was about a lonely little girl who has moved to an old Victorian house and finds a small playhouse version of the house in the woods.  It is dirty and dusty and filled with dolls and furniture.  She comes back the next day to clean it all and discovers that the dolls can talk.  She makes friends with another little girl who comes and visits the house too.

Ring a bell for anyone? I know I ordered it through the scholastic book club at school back in the late 70s.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

i read the dollhouse murderers and i'm pretty sure this is the book your looking for. but if not its a good book anyway haha:smileyhappy:

You always get your happy ending
If you're not happy...then it's not the end
Frequent Contributor
geminiangel
0 Kudos

I just finished reading "The Secret Museum" and it definitely sounds like the book the original poster is looking for.