Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

Welcome to Lost Books!

[ Edited ]

Hello and welcome to the newest board in the Barnes&Noble.com Book Clubs – Lost Books!

One of the most common requests we get from users here at the Book Clubs is assistance in finding a book that they read long ago, and can't remember the name or author of but know the plot details and need some help being reunited with an old favorite.  We also get quite a few requests for recommendations of new books based on one's favorites.

As a response to this, we've created this board as a home for these kinds of questions.

This is the place to come for help finding a book, or to help others find the books they’re looking for. It’s a good place to get answers on your quest for a long forgotten favorite, or find some great titles that are new to you, or to show off your literary knowledge and help out your fellow readers. Here’s how it works:

If there’s a book you’re looking for – or if you want a recommendation – simply start a thread and describe as best you can what it is that you are looking for. When people respond to you, you’ll see a special button in each of their posts:

Once someone has correctly answered the question asked in a particular thread, that thread then becomes “Answered”. This means anyone reading it will now see a new button in the first post of the thread:

This button represents the fact that the question has been answered. In order to “jump” to the answer, click on that button and you’ll be taken to the post with the correct answer in it. That post will also be marked with a special button: Clicking on this button will take you back to the original question.

That’s all there is to it! We hope you enjoy this new board, that you find that book you've been looking for, and pick up some great new recommendations on the way! And if you are especially helpful and help a lot of people answer their questions, you might just end up with a special gift from the Book Clubs team!

Message Edited by Jon_B on 02-19-2009 01:58 PM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill

Re: Welcome to Lost Books!

May I suggest trying to include some (unique) information about the book you are trying to find in your Message Subject line?

If you note the present thread headings, many of them are so similar.  If one later wants to return with a book suggestion, it can be very hard to find the one wanted. 

Last night was the first time I spent much time on this board.  I found two entries that I suspected might be seeking the same book.  I wanted to alert them to each other and I spent considerable time trying to find the first one I had seen, but was never successful in being able to do so.

I know what I suggest may not always be possible and I am not certain it would help, but it definitely would be fun to see if the clearance/match rate on this board can be increased.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dulcinea3

I agree.  I am more likely to open a thread because something in the subject suggests I might have read something similar and be able to help, than if it just says "Looking for book".  I often don't have the time to open and read each and every thread.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Thats a good idea, I'll put up a thread reminding people to put some detail into their thread titles.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
New User
sarabon007
0 Kudos

i just like to read books and

being a bangladeshi i used to read bangla book....

i also read english book....

[url=http://productreviewsby.me/magic-jack/] Magic-jack [/url]
Magic-jack
Peppermill
0 Kudos

sarabon007 wrote:

i just like to read books and

being a bangladeshi i used to read bangla book....

i also read english book....

Welcome, Sarabon.

Have you read Monica Ali's Brick Lane?  (You might want to comment on the Literature By Women board rather than this one for Lost Books.  It has a thread called "The Book Nook" for general discussion.  That book was discussed on that thread a few months ago.)

Brick Lane 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Contributor
jill33177
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to Lost Books! Re: Zeck by Rex Stout

I'm looking for a book titled "Zeck" by Rex Stout. It was lost during a move and I really, really want that book. I've searched every other place I can think of and haven't found it yet! If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Jill

Jill
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Triple Zeck  This is no longer available new so you'll need to order a used copy.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Contributor
jill33177
0 Kudos

Thanks, Mellisa, but I'm looking for "Zeck", not "Triple Zeck". I haven't been able to find it anywhere and I'm still looking. I appreciate the try, though!

Jill
Contributor
VampireRanger
0 Kudos

biblio.com has a lot of Rex Stout novels. I didn't see Zeck listed but, they get new books posted regularly. They do have Triple Zeck listed. Their right up says its 3 novels about Zeck, but doesn't list the separate names of the novels. Hopefully this helps your search.

New User
koss
0 Kudos

Hello! I'm looking for a book about little bird and it's first fly. A hawk was followed it but could'nt catch. It hapeened in a big sity. I think that author is American; this book is pretty illustrated. Thank you!

New User
misskellyLD
0 Kudos

the book i'm looking for is a bet book i don't know the aruter but the name of the book is called betrayed by love. it's about a man asking this women to have is baby and they get married and have their son and threw that they find true love pleade help me find this book thanks so much!!!!!!.

danielle
Distinguished Wordsmith
FantasyRider

[ Edited ]

@misskellyLD -- Is Betrayed by Love by Francine Craft, Kensington Publishing Corporation Staff the book you are looking for?

"Arabesque veteran Francine Craft will delight readers with this story of a man who doesn't believe in love, but dreams of fatherhood. His wedding to an old flame is strictly business until he's overcome with the urge to turn their make-believe marriage into the real thing. " (source Google)

Betrayed by Love 

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." Albert Einstein
New User
Larisa12
0 Kudos

When I was a little girl (late 70's) my mother read me a story about a muralist who was employed by a monastery to paint a mural.  I believe at the unveiling it was a self appropriate of the painter as George of the Dragon.  While the painter worked, he lived at the monastery.  The monks would come and check on him from time to time, but the mural was always covered.  In the evenings he would be called to dinner, which he always hated and called the soups dragon juice.  He would pretend to eat and in the middle of the night he would raid he pantry of sausages, cheese and wine which the monks made as part of their livelihood. There was a funny looking duck that would have different kinds of expressions that would follow him around looking scared, curious, angry, etc.

I have always thought it might be a tomie de Paola book based on how I remember the pictures, but I've looked through his lists and I feel like I don't find it.

I might be out of print... the book has always held a place in my heart and I would love to find it if possible.

Thanks,

Larisa

New User
misskellyLD
0 Kudos

Thank u that's the book I loved that book. I let somebody read it and they lied and said that they had a house fire when in turn she had the book the whole time.

danielle
Reader
kairinia
0 Kudos

Contributor
kennethrlewis
0 Kudos

Hi Jon_B:

This book isn't exactly "lost" but it is out of print. However, used copies are still available from B&N.com, and I am desperately trying to add this book to my Profile's Bookshelf. I want to add this exact paperback edition of Richard Rayner's "Murder Book" because it was the book that finally inspired me to become a novelist myself, twelve years ago. It is a powerful crime fiction novel of unbelievable depth, and I would like readers to "re-discover" it. So, if it is still being sold on the B&N website, how come I can't add it to my bookshelf?

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Murder-Book/Richard-Rayner/e/9780061097379/?itm=1

Little Blue Whales (2009)
The Sparrow's Blade (2011)
Flight of the Bowyer (2013)
New User
masull
0 Kudos

Re: Can't remember the name of this book!

I read the book in 1986 so it was likely published around that time.  It was about a young adult girl, I'm thinking 18ish, who lived with older, very dull, possibly spinster aunts, in a very dull town, they sat around and knitted in the evenings.  Then a very spirited guy comes to the town and shakes everything up.  The girl ends up with him at the end of the story, living in a cottage together, after making some rather unlike-her adventurous moves to get her man.  She reminded me of a pippy longstocking character, with lots of spunk but was stuck with the very sour aunts.  Please help!  I loaned the book at the time to MY spinster aunt and we both loved it.  She has since died and I just wish I could remember the name of the book.

New User
mygirl2
0 Kudos

book horror The Scream, 1980s written in by names of two authors john saul and dean koontz bout 2 rock bands

New User
Diamond_D
0 Kudos

I'm looking for this book

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a book that I read back in 1989, I thought called "Isabelle", though that might not be the name of the book...just the heroine. The book is about 1300 pages, set in 1300-1500's during the witch trials.  This book is about a girl that was like 13 and her family was extremely poor.  They sold her to a man that was older and was abusive.  She hated him and dreamed of his death...or more of his nightmares...she would go to the fireplace and daydream (really fall into a trance) and then the things would happen to him.  She met a midwife and she taught her how to use this gift to keep him in line.  However, the midwife turns out to be the head of a coven and invites her to join.  She also then has to go through a ritual that invokes the devil who appears to her as a beautiful and gentle lover.  She soon discovers that what she has been doing is wrong and she must choice between her lover and her own soul's salvation.  In the end she decides on her soul, the gets angry with her and shows his true-self as a great half-man, half-beast demon.  She makes holy confession, and reject all allegiance to Satan and is sentence to the pyre for witchcraft.   

I found this book in my God-mother's vast library.  It was the first book I ever really read and I was hooked after that.  I don't have a clue what happened to that copy.  Can someone please help me find this book.  Even after 20 years I'm still thinking about it.