New User
iamwrappedupinbooks
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Young Adult(?) novel featuring a sea voyage

[ Edited ]

Back in the mid-1980s when I was a wee, I read a book about a young girl who leaves her home (in a warm place, possibly in the Caribbean or Australia) and sails to a new place (probably Glasgow, because I remember being confused about the pronunciation), where she is alienated from the people that she meets and is depressed by her cold, dreary surroundings. The heroine's name may have been Emma, but Emma may also be the author's name. There is (of course) a young man involved, and her relationship with him may determine whether she stays or returns home, but I'm not entirely sure of that point (though I do seem to remember a "showdown" of sorts between the two of them in the final pages of the book).

The title, if memory serves (and it may not), refers to a sea journey. My most vivid memory is of the book's dust jacket, which featured an abstract painting with very bright colors. I remember comprehending that this was an "old timey" book as I read it, but I couldn't hazard a guess as to the era in which it was set. I believe that the book was written sometime between 1950 and 1980.

My best guess is that this is a YA novel that I picked up at my local library because I liked the colors on the cover, even though I was too young to get a handle on the content.

It's been driving me batty for quite some time because I usually have no trouble remembering the details and titles of things that I've read, but this one escapes me. I'll be enormously grateful for any suggestions you might have!

Inspired Correspondent
racheling
0 Kudos

Re: Young Adult(?) novel featuring a sea voyage

It sounds to me like it could be The Witch of Blackbird Pond.

The Witch of Blackbird Pond  

PC1
Reader
PC1
0 Kudos

I don't know if it's the novel the OP was asking about but thank you.  I read this years ago and now know what it is called :smileyvery-happy:

New User
iamwrappedupinbooks
0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure that's not it, but I did read and enjoy The Witch of Blackbird Pond, too. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

This is the only one I could think of.

Nancy 

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
New User
iamwrappedupinbooks
0 Kudos

Thanks, Nancy, but that's not it. Good suggestion, though!

New User
iamwrappedupinbooks
0 Kudos

Finally, I stumbled across the right combination of words to search for: it's Emma's Island by Honor Arundel. Mystery solved!