Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Booklover4evah
0 Kudos

Young adult book about psychic teenagers

Okay here goes:  I read a young adult book about orphaned psychic teenagers being studied in a laboratory when I was in middle school (90s).  The main character was a teenage boy who somehow got separated from his guardian, a time traveler.  The book itself was the last part in a trilogy, but the library never had books 1 and 2.  The kids were being held against their will.  Some of the experiments had the kids listening to ancient languages trying to figure out the meaning of the words.  At one point, the main character gets mad and melts a red ball with just his thoughts.  Spoiler alert:  at the end the kids escape and are adopted by parents in some type of cold climate, Alaska maybe?  The boy reunites with his guardian, and they go visit the ancient Egyptian pyramids.  Funny, I can't remember the name or author, but I definitely remember the very end.  Does this ring a bell to anyone?  I'd love to read books 1 and 2.  Thanks in advance!

New User
spiraleyes
0 Kudos

Re: Young adult book about psychic teenagers

Yes! This is exactly the book I am trying to find the name of. It's funny how the part about him melting the red ball stood out so clearly for you too. I think they were in a facility with psychic dampening walls to prevent escape. As I recall, the guy who was studying them was doing a sort of group session with other teens around a table. The red ball was on that table. I seem to remember there were some twins there whose abilities were somehow related to one another. Someone in the group struggled hard during the test but the ball barley moved. The researcher then insisted that the protagonist give it a shot. The protagonist melted it in a show of anger and contempt for the trivial test.

I remember reading it in elementary school, so it had to have been on shelves by 1995 or earlier.

New User
spiraleyes
0 Kudos

Re: Young adult book about psychic teenagers

I FOUND IT! Actually I found someone who found it. After a lot of googling, I located a q&a site page where someone figured it out.

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/41277/ya-scifi-series-about-an-alien-psychic-kid

It's "The Mind Trap" by G. Clifton Wisler. I'm pretty sure I only read that book, despite it being book three in a three book trilogy. As soon as I saw the cover image I recognized it.

http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Trap-G-Clifton-Wisler/dp/0525674640