Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
twitch123
0 Kudos

trying to find a book- cannot find it at all

Hi, this is what I recollect of the book I read.......first let me explain it is NOT In His Sights by Kate Brennan.

This book is written (possibly a memoir) by a woman who was stalked by her spouse. It is a TRUE storyIt starts with her meeting this man at a health clinic he ownedShe sees him several times (?) and finally they develop a relationshipThey have a business selling health supplementsHe is possessive, he cuts her off from family and friends (including her own children).  He is abusive and she is desparate to get away, and she does with help from family and friendsHe always finds herShe finally is alone and he comes to her home (I think with a gun) and is completely out of control. She telephones a mutual friend (the only mutual friend they have left, and as she explains the only friend that has stuck by him).  She phones that friend to come and try and talk to her estranged spouse, hoping he can diffuse the situationWhat happens is I believe that the friend gets the gun away (he might kill the spouse), but in the process the friend survives as does the author of the book (the wife, or common law spouse, the woman who was stalked and terrorized again and again).  The ending of the book talks ( this is the best of my recollection) about her guilt that their friend ended up  hurt and blind. 

I am positive that this woman says she now lives a quiet life on Orcas Island Washington and has her family back in her life. I know her parents (I think her Dad mostly) helps her move and try and get away from her stalker many times. .  I believe that this women talks about the fact she was Norwegian, she was a physically active womanShe is not a young woman when she starts this relationship with this man.

Recently (in the past two years) I read an article in the Reader's Digest about the man who came to try and help. He describes the horror of what happened and the fact that he has lost his sight as a result of the incident (shot by the stalker?) and he has reclaimed his life. 

I have searched authors on Orcas Isand. I have phoned the Orcas Island bookstoreI have searched memoirs about stalking and have tried to search online for the story of the man who survived and he  wrote that he never thought that this man would be so crazedI think her name was Anne, but I could be wrong.  What I clearly remember:

She became a spouse to an abusive man.

He would not let her leave and when she did he found her over and over again.

He isolated her from her family.

They had a business selling health products, it had financial problems.

He was a liar and also committed fraud

He told her he would never let her go......

I know this is a lot of information,but maybe I don't have it quite right. I am quite certain he is dead (the stalker),   I do know she survived

If anyone can think of what this book is called or ithe name of the author.  Or, if anyone can recall the article (I can't find the issue) in the readers digest where the man describes this story and his current life now.e. 

I cannot believe no matter what I put in my search engine- that nothing comes up and that the Orcas Island bookstore was not familiar with the story. Of course it is because In His Sights by Kate Brennan has been a huge success and a story that is everywhere online

Thank you so much for trying to help me find this book. I cannot get it out of my mind!

CheersConnie

Frequent Contributor
drgnlady
0 Kudos

Re: trying to find a book- cannot find it at all

Could it be In His Sights by Kate Brennan? It doesn't have the ending you mentioned but it's a few years old and there may have been an update to the story that you saw somewhere?

In His Sights  

New User
twitch123
0 Kudos

Thank kyou, it is not "In His Sights" unfortunately....it is driving me mad....maybe I am combining two stories that I have read!

thanks for trying to help!

Frequent Contributor
drgnlady
0 Kudos

Sorry. I spent a bunch of time looking for the book and that was the closest I found and then didn't bother to re-read the original post (or even the first line...silly me). It does sound very interesting and  I'd love to know what the title is.

New User
twitch123
0 Kudos

thank you for looking and trying so hard to find it.....ugh it is driving me crazy!  maybe it is no longer in print or something!  :smileyhappy:

New User
twitch123
0 Kudos

FOUND IT- LONG STORY VERY COMPLEX- IT IS WRITTEN BY ANN RULE AND IS IN A SHORT STORY BOOK CALLED MORTAL DANGER THERE IS MUCH ONLINE ABOUT KATE JEWELL (WHO SURVIVED) AND TURI BENTLEY WHO DID NOT (KATE JEWELL WENT INTO HIDING FOR YEARS AND TRIED TO HELP POLICE FIND THIS MAN JOHN BRANDON -AKA JOHN WILLIAMS - THERE IS MUCH MORE AND IT IS VERY CLOSE TO ALL I HAVE DESCRIBED ABOVE INCLUDING THE FACT THAT HE ALSO BLINDED HIS FRIEND DURING THE MURDER OF TURI. HIS FRIENDS NAME IS RANDALL NOZAWA. whew, i just sort of put the two womens stories together and forgot is was one man, one woman who got away (hid out on Orcas Island, hoping the police would find her stalker/attacker), but sadly and ultimately he murdered his next wife (common law) and killed himself.
thanks for trying to help and i hope you get my message!! Well worth the read- I think, as it has held my interest for years, the actual events took place in the 1990's.....