Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Favorite Passages

One of the first things that strikes me about this book -- or any of Gabriel García Márquez's books -- is how descriptive his writing is. Let's talk about some of our favorite passages from the book. (Be careful of spoilers, though!)

I'll start with a few from the first chapter.

• After Dr. Urbino meets the mistress of the recently deceased Jeremiah de Saint-Amour (what a great name, by the way) -- "Dr. Urbino already realized how completely he would repudiate the memory of of that irredeemable woman, and he thought he knew why: only a person without principles could be so complaisant toward grief." This gives us rare insight into the depths of Dr. Urbino's emotions, because we see early on how others view him as somewhat stoic and cold.

• When the parrot escapes -- "The servant girls, with the help of other maids in the neighborhod, had used all kinds of tricks to lure him down, but he insisted on staying where he was, laughing madly as he shouted long live the Liberal Party, long live the Liberal Party damn it, a reckless cry that had cost many a carefree drunk his life." It's a humorous scene that provides a stark reminder of the political climate.

• But my favorite, after Dr. Urbino and Fermina fight about whether or not there was soap in the dish -- "'Let me stay here,' he said. 'There was soap.'" It's such a tender, simple ending to a huge, emotional, marital argument.

What are some of your favorites?
  • Frequent Contributor
    APenForYourThoughts
    0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages

[ Edited ]
    I think one of my favorite passages is when Fermina has returned from Valledupar and Florentino follows her as she walks through the market. I don't own the book and I can't find an e-text, so I can't quote anything, which is a shame because there are a couple of really beautiful lines about how Florentino couldn't understand how the world didn't go mad at the rustling of Fermina's skirts or something to that effect. Kind of conveys the extreme depth of Florentino's love for/obsession with this girl. It's a wonderful passage, and then we have Fermina's heartbreaking rejection of Florentino. :smileysad:
    I also love when Florentino plays the violin for Fermina one last time... That part made me want to cry.
    The whole thing is amazing. It's a true work of art that still has me awestruck.

Message Edited by APenForYourThoughts on 10-07-2007 02:39 PM
    "A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
    Frequent Contributor
    BarbaraN
    0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Jessica wrote:
    One of the first things that strikes me about this book -- or any of Gabriel García Márquez's books -- is how descriptive his writing is. Let's talk about some of our favorite passages from the book. (Be careful of spoilers, though!)

I'll start with a few from the first chapter.

• After Dr. Urbino meets the mistress of the recently deceased Jeremiah de Saint-Amour (what a great name, by the way) -- "Dr. Urbino already realized how completely he would repudiate the memory of of that irredeemable woman, and he thought he knew why: only a person without principles could be so complaisant toward grief." This gives us rare insight into the depths of Dr. Urbino's emotions, because we see early on how others view him as somewhat stoic and cold.

• When the parrot escapes -- "The servant girls, with the help of other maids in the neighborhod, had used all kinds of tricks to lure him down, but he insisted on staying where he was, laughing madly as he shouted long live the Liberal Party, long live the Liberal Party damn it, a reckless cry that had cost many a carefree drunk his life." It's a humorous scene that provides a stark reminder of the political climate.

• But my favorite, after Dr. Urbino and Fermina fight about whether or not there was soap in the dish -- "'Let me stay here,' he said. 'There was soap.'" It's such a tender, simple ending to a huge, emotional, marital argument.

What are some of your favorites?

• I liked and noted these passages as well, Jessica. There are so many. Garcia Marquez has an interesting way of describing his characters and their situations without blatantly stating it. And I'm only up to page 38!

Some in relation to the Doctor's (or Garcia Marquez) professional attitude that I liked:

pg 8 ... it was easier for him to bear other people's pains than his own.

pg 10 "The scalpel is the greatest proof of the failure of medicine."

pg 10 "Each man is master of his own death, and all that we can do when the time comes is to help him die without fear of pain."

Or the environment:

pg 9 ... and motors from the bay whose exhaust fumes fluttered through the house on hot afternoons like an angel condemned to putrefaction.

pg 17 ...women protected themselves from the sun as if it were a shameful infection.

pg 17 At nightfall, at the oppressive moment of transition, a storm of carnivorous mosquitoes rose out of the swamps, and a tender breath of human **bleep**, warm and sad, stirred the certainty of death in the depths of one's soul.

pg 19 ..the riverboats with their shining lights, purifying the stagnant garbage heap of the bay with the wake of their music.

The Doctor's political thinking:

pg 15 Dr. Urbino did not agree: in his opinion a Liberal president was exactly the same as a Conservative president, but not as well dressed.

Barbara

Message Edited by BarbaraN on 10-08-2007 04:08 PM
    Frequent Contributor
    BarbaraN
    0 Kudos

pg 17 At nightfall, at the oppressive moment of transition, a storm of carnivorous mosquitoes rose out of the swamps, and a tender breath of human **bleep**, warm and sad, stirred the certainty of death in the depths of one's soul.

Oops! It looks like I've been **bleeped** by the B&N censor. It does make discussing adult literature a bit difficult. I gave the page reference so others can read it for themselves. It does lose something in B&N's translation.

pg 31 in Spanish version

...y una tierna vaharada de mierda humana, cálida y triste, revolvía en el fondo del alma la certidumbre de la muerte.

I bet the B&N censor doesn't read Spanish.

Barbara
    Frequent Contributor
    Jessica
    0 Kudos

BarbaraN wrote:

Oops! It looks like I've been **bleeped** by the B&N censor. It does make discussing adult literature a bit difficult. I gave the page reference so others can read it for themselves. It does lose something in B&N's translation.

pg 31 in Spanish version

...y una tierna vaharada de mierda humana, cálida y triste, revolvía en el fondo del alma la certidumbre de la muerte.

I bet the B&N censor doesn't read Spanish.

Barbara

:smileywink:

(Thanks! And sorry to bleep a quote from a Nobel prize winner!)
    New User
    a_cindy
    0 Kudos

In spite of the fact that I teach Spanish (and Latin American literature), I only recently read this book, for a book club, actually. I don't know that it's my favorite Garcia Marquez work, and I think that "100 Years" exemplifies magical realism best.
    No spoilers :smileyhappy:, but after reading this one and the "Memorias de mis putas tristes", friends and I noticed some parallels that are a little disturbing.
    Anyway, one passage that I remember grabbed me as I read was near the very beginning, as the doctor took a nap on the patio (can't quote, 'cause mine's in Spanish). That paragraph captured, for me, the essence of the Caribbean.
    Frequent Contributor
    BarbaraN
    0 Kudos

a_cindy wrote:
    In spite of the fact that I teach Spanish (and Latin American literature), I only recently read this book, for a book club, actually. I don't know that it's my favorite Garcia Marquez work, and I think that "100 Years" exemplifies magical realism best.
    No spoilers :smileyhappy:, but after reading this one and the "Memorias de mis putas tristes", friends and I noticed some parallels that are a little disturbing.
    Anyway, one passage that I remember grabbed me as I read was near the very beginning, as the doctor took a nap on the patio (can't quote, 'cause mine's in Spanish). That paragraph captured, for me, the essence of the Caribbean.

Cindy what page? Give the page and quote the Spanish. I have the book in both languages. What did you find disturbing about it?
    Users Online
    Currently online: 38 members 819 guests
    Please welcome our newest community members: