Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group! Also, what are some of your other favorite Gabriel García Márquez titles?
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello,

My name is Barbara and I'm from Southern California. I started 100 Years of Solitude but haven't finished reading it yet. I found it a very interesting and intriguing story but the names of the characters were a bit confusing. Then I saw the announcement for this reading club for Love in the Time of Cholera and decided to try this book first since many of the reviews said that it is more readable and probably García Márquez best book.

Although I only have intermediate beginners Spanish, I also picked up the Spanish version just to look more closely at the style and writing and possibly read some sections of it in Spanish. I have read about 30 pages so far of the Edith Grossman English version recommended for this group and find it excellent and the story immediately engrossing. I am looking forward to this discussion group.

Barbara
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone!!! I totally just saw this thread when I was deciding where I should check in next, and I have to say that I am extremely excited there is a discussion on this novel! I just read it for the first time about three months ago, and I found it completely beautiful; Marquez has a gorgeous, poetic writing style that captures you and penetrates deep into your intellect and emotions. The only other work by Marquez I have read is a short story (can't remember what it's called, but it was about an angel), but I have One Hundred Years of Solitude and Chronicle of a Death Foretold on my reading list. Love in the Time of Cholera is one of those few books that have really affected me and stuck with me, and as a writer myself, it contributed greatly to reminding me why I love to write. It made me think, "I hope that someday I will be able to write a piece that can affect people as much as this novel has affected me..." It has an unfathomable beauty, and I look forward to discussing it. :smileyhappy:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

BarbaraN wrote:
Hello,

My name is Barbara and I'm from Southern California. I started 100 Years of Solitude but haven't finished reading it yet. I found it a very interesting and intriguing story but the names of the characters were a bit confusing. Then I saw the announcement for this reading club for Love in the Time of Cholera and decided to try this book first since many of the reviews said that it is more readable and probably García Márquez best book.

Although I only have intermediate beginners Spanish, I also picked up the Spanish version just to look more closely at the style and writing and possibly read some sections of it in Spanish. I have read about 30 pages so far of the Edith Grossman English version recommended for this group and find it excellent and the story immediately engrossing. I am looking forward to this discussion group.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,
Welcome! Glad you're enjoying the book so far, and let us know your impressions of the Spanish version.
Jessica
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

APenForYourThoughts wrote:
Hi, everyone!!! I totally just saw this thread when I was deciding where I should check in next, and I have to say that I am extremely excited there is a discussion on this novel! I just read it for the first time about three months ago, and I found it completely beautiful; Marquez has a gorgeous, poetic writing style that captures you and penetrates deep into your intellect and emotions. The only other work by Marquez I have read is a short story (can't remember what it's called, but it was about an angel), but I have One Hundred Years of Solitude and Chronicle of a Death Foretold on my reading list. Love in the Time of Cholera is one of those few books that have really affected me and stuck with me, and as a writer myself, it contributed greatly to reminding me why I love to write. It made me think, "I hope that someday I will be able to write a piece that can affect people as much as this novel has affected me..." It has an unfathomable beauty, and I look forward to discussing it. :smileyhappy:

Hi Pen,
"Unfathomable beauty" is a great description. I don't know about all of you, but I always read with a pen or pencil in my hand so I can mark interesting phrases, descriptions, or important plot points. This book is *covered* in my notes -- there are so many amazing moments in the story and in the way it's told.
Jessica
New User
brittabe
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, it is great to meet you all. I'm Brittany and I'm giving "Love in the Time of Cholera" a go. I tried to read "One Hundred Years of Solitude" in the past and just had trouble getting into it. I found, in that book, that the writing keeps you distant from the characters and I like an immediacy and intimacy with the characters. So I'm hoping this book club might help me make it through "Cholera" if it starts to lag for me. I'd really like to read a Marquez book just because he is so highly regarded. Thanks!
New User
QueenofCarlos
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am QueenofCarlos and quite delighted to be a part of this book club. I recently purchased a copy of Love in the Time of Cholera. This will be my introduction to the author's works.
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

brittabe wrote: Hi everyone, it is great to meet you all. I'm Brittany and I'm giving "Love in the Time of Cholera" a go. I tried to read "One Hundred Years of Solitude" in the past and just had trouble getting into it. I found, in that book, that the writing keeps you distant from the characters and I like an immediacy and intimacy with the characters. So I'm hoping this book club might help me make it through "Cholera" if it starts to lag for me. I'd really like to read a Marquez book just because he is so highly regarded. Thanks!

Hi Brittabe!

I think you'll find Love a bit more accessible than 100 Years. This book is very character-heavy; their quirks, their dramas, etc. really pull you in.

Be sure to check out "favorite passages" (i posted some from the first few pages...) and post some of your own, and also share your first impressions of the book.

Great to have you with us~
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Hi Queen!

Well, you are in for a treat! Love is a great story, beautifully written, full of humor and oddities ... as I mentioned in an earlier post, it's a book to savor.

I read it years ago, and am loving this re-read of it!

Welcome!
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

Jessica, your comments throughout the club site are most interesting and enlightening. I would love to add my comments to them, but you are way ahead of me. This book was only announced as an Oprah pick last Friday and I bought it immediately at the store (when it was still full price, I might add) and I'm only as far as the beginning of Chapter 2. It is not a book I want to read quickly. Those who have ordered it over the Internet probably haven't even gotten their copies yet. So it might be awhile before any of us can respond to your comments and by then they might be buried in a bunch of early book comments. I am copying them out to a text file of my own so that I can reference them as a reading guide as I go along and comment on them later. The lack of comment, at least on my part, is not because I am not interested but because I haven't read that far yet.

Out of curiosity, where are the rest of you in your reading (or waiting for) this book?

Those who would like to get a little head start, they can read a printable excerpt from the beginning of the book at:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781400034680#CHP

There is now a "See Inside" where people can read a few pages of each chapter.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781400034680
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

BarbaraN wrote: Jessica, your comments throughout the club site are most interesting and enlightening. I would love to add my comments to them, but you are way ahead of me. This book was only announced as an Oprah pick last Friday and I bought it immediately at the store (when it was still full price, I might add) and I'm only as far as the beginning of Chapter 2. It is not a book I want to read quickly. Those who have ordered it over the Internet probably haven't even gotten their copies yet. So it might be awhile before any of us can respond to your comments and by then they might be buried in a bunch of early book comments. I am copying them out to a text file of my own so that I can reference them as a reading guide as I go along and comment on them later. The lack of comment, at least on my part, is not because I am not interested but because I haven't read that far yet.

Out of curiosity, where are the rest of you in your reading (or waiting for) this book?

I hear ya loud and clear Barbara! So far, I'm trying to keep the conversation within the first 3 "chapters." I think by mid or end of next week, we'll be free to talk about the book as a whole? I'll post some of those types of questions as we approach, but I totally understand that folks are reading along with the conversation.

(I've read this one before, but I'm re-reading it, and so far, I'm in the middle of Ch. 4...)

Thanks!
New User
nadiam15
0 Kudos

Hi,
My name is Nadia. This is the first time that I am reading Love in the Time of Cholera. I am very excited to read and discuss this book with others because I have heard that the book is amazing.

I have read some of Gabriel Garcia Marquez' other works. Recently, some co-workers and I read One Hundred Years of Solitude. Since I was responsible for leading a discussion on One Hundred Years of Solitude, I read the book so quickly. Therefore, I felt that I did not fully appreciate the book. I am wanting to re-read One Hundred Years of Solitude after I finish reading Love in the Time of Cholera.
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

nadiam15 wrote: Hi, My name is Nadia. This is the first time that I am reading Love in the Time of Cholera. I am very excited to read and discuss this book with others because I have heard that the book is amazing.

I have read some of Gabriel Garcia Marquez' other works. Recently, some co-workers and I read One Hundred Years of Solitude. Since I was responsible for leading a discussion on One Hundred Years of Solitude, I read the book so quickly. Therefore, I felt that I did not fully appreciate the book. I am wanting to re-read One Hundred Years of Solitude after I finish reading Love in the Time of Cholera.

Hi Nadia
Great to have you here! I'd love to hear your impressions of 100 Years, compared to Cholera (warn us of any Cholera spoilers though; i think some folks are still reading the book).
Jessica
New User
nadiam15
0 Kudos

Hi BarbaraN,

I am slowly reading Love in the Time of Cholera, due to the fact that I work a full-time job and am also in grad school. I did start reading Love in the Time of Cholera on the day that Oprah selected the book as her newest book club pick. Unfortunately, I am only on page 68 as of today, October 15th.

How much of Love in the Time of Cholera have you read?
Frequent Contributor
BarbaraN
0 Kudos

nadiam15 wrote:
Hi BarbaraN,

I am slowly reading Love in the Time of Cholera, due to the fact that I work a full-time job and am also in grad school. I did start reading Love in the Time of Cholera on the day that Oprah selected the book as her newest book club pick. Unfortunately, I am only on page 68 as of today, October 15th.

How much of Love in the Time of Cholera have you read?

You are ahead of me. I'm up to page 54. I too picked it up the first day it was announced but I have several other reading projects going (and work) and I haven't had a chance to read it for the past few days. I'm in no rush, especially since people are just starting to get on board. So take your time. I don't think the reading group has really gotten going yet. I just wanted to make sure I got through the first section. I think a section a week would be a good pace. It would also give us time to talk about it in detail. I'm sure B&N intends to leave the club open through November, if not longer.

Barbara
Contributor
D-Sherie
0 Kudos

Hi ! my name is Dawn and I live in Grand Rapids. I have just started reading the book and so far I have really enjoyed the story so far. I am not very far into it since I just finished moving into our new house. This weekend though my husband says I get a Mom TO HERSELF weekend so I plan on finishing it.

I have been trying to broaden my reading horizons a bit with the genres I read. I have been pleasently surprised with how much I have enjoyed it. I am looking forward to sharing thoughts and impressions on the book.

Dawn~
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,
Just a quick note -- yes, this discussion will still be going on in November.
Thanks!
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Hi Dawn,
Welcome to the group! We look forward to hearing your thoughts about the book. And enjoy your Mom Alone weekend. (Woo hoo! I need to get me one of those!)
Jessica
New User
nadiam15
0 Kudos

Re: New Love in the Time of Cholera Movie

Hello,
I just wanted to share that the new Love in the Time of Cholera movie comes out on Friday, November 16th. You can check out the trailer via the following link

http://movies.about.com/od/loveinthetimeofcholera/a/cholera101507.htm
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Re: New Love in the Time of Cholera Movie

I, for one, am very excited about this one. Looks like Benjamin Bratt is Dr. Urbino? (I always imagined Dr. Urbino to be much older than Fermina...)

How many of you are going to see the movie?
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 523 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: