Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
ProudBookWorm
0 Kudos

Recommend? Warnings?

This book looks quite appealing, but I would like to receive recommendations and/or warnings before reading. Would you recommend this for a teenager? Or a preteen? Or does it deal with adult issues better set for young to middle aged woman? Also, what things are in the book for you to set it at such an age level? Thanks.
~Krissi~

"Do you have the time to listen to me whine"- "Basket Case" by Green Day

So...do you?
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Re: Recommend? Warnings?

Hi! I'm a teenager, and I read this book without really doing any research as to the content. Probably not very smart, but at the same time somewhat fortuitous... This book is absolutely beautiful. Marquez's writing style is gorgeous, and I found myself deliberately reading extremely slowly so as not to hasten the arrival of the end. I'd definitely recommend it for reading at some point in your life... As far as age level goes, I'd say definitely not preteen. Teen, maybe, depending on the maturity level. There is quite a bit of sexual content, including a few instances of very explicit description in this regard. But, honestly, I've read stuff in high school that is not quite as explicit as this, but still rather crude. It's probably a matter of personal judgment, but it's definitely worth a read sometime. Hope this helps! :smileyhappy:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Contributor
AbbyLynn
0 Kudos

Re: Recommend? Warnings?

I might be a little biased, since this is possibly my all-time favorite book, but I think it's one of those great novels that you can (and should!) read multiple times in your life. It does have a fair bit of sexual content (although so does Romeo & Juliet, which is still required reading for 9th graders in my town), so it might not be appropriate for younger teens, but I would say that it's a fantastic book for mature 11th graders and older. But as you read it again and again at different stages in your life, you will see it in a whole new light and it will be a new experience again.
Users Online
Currently online: 23 members 481 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: